cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tigerhead
Level 7

Systems very slow to log on since HIPS 7.0 installed

For about 50% of our systems are very slow to log on to in Windows since we installed HIPS 7.0. The message in the screen is saying:"applying computer settings". Sometimes it takes for about 30 minutes when the users can finally press CTRL+ALT+DEL.

All systems have Windows XP sp2 installed and logged on to a single domain.

Does anyone know what the reason is?

Two workarrounds for the timebeing:
- Users will disconnect the network cable during startup until they get the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen.
- Remove HIPS 7.0 and everything works fine again.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
protector
Level 9

If you disable HIPS does this occur? Do you have explorer.exe in the application protection list as excluded or included? If it is included, try excluding it as a work around to see if this makes any difference. I know it is not a good idea to exclude explorer.exe but just to test if the login issue is resolved. Could be some kind of race condition causing this issue. Does the slow login occur consistently or is it random?
0 Kudos
butz
Level 7

Hello,

We have a similar problem, but only in conjunction with an other software, MOBILEManager, a service with a VPN client.

The login breaks after about 10 minutes.
The desktop will start while, but there is no security access to AD

In system event log I get the following error message:

Source: LSASRV
ID: 40961
Message: The Security system could not established a secured connection with the server.

Have already installed patch 1.
Should a solve a problem in connection with VPN and DHCP , but unfortunately without success.
0 Kudos
Raja
Level 9

RE: Systems very slow to log on since HIPS 7.0 installed

There is a hotfix that may resolve this issue. Please open a service request with McAfee.
0 Kudos
chuck92103
Level 7

Cached credential issue with NLA.

Try this.

1. Have customer boot computer off the network so they can actually bootup.

2. Restart "Network Location Awareness (NLA)" by running the following commands from a command prompt.

net stop "Network Location Awareness (NLA)"

net start "Network Location Awareness (NLA)"

3. Reboot

This clear out corrupted domain credential/controller info and reloads.

I suspect McAfee corrupted this somehow. we had about 40 hosts with the issue. Some were new images, some older machines.

Apparently, this is a common Microsoft issue that can be triggered by a lot of different applications.
0 Kudos
snow-munki
Level 7

Have the same issue here.

Spoke to Mcafee for over an hour and they had no idea either. Call I logged is still open.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled HIPs and it is slightly better but still not perfect.
0 Kudos
Raja
Level 9

What's your SR number?

If the firewall is on, there is a known issue and hotfix available.
If the firewall is off then data needs to be collected and this sent on to engineering.
0 Kudos
snow-munki
Level 7

Hi Raja,

SR is : 1-402173813

The firewall is on and the call has been escalated to tier 2.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Raja
Level 9

You need HotFix 397270. If that hotfix doesn't resolve the issue then more troubleshooting needs to be done. Based on what you've posted here it sounds like you are seeing the dead-lock issue.

-R-
0 Kudos
gevans26
Level 7

Slow Logon

I have contacted support but they say they cannot find the hotfix that was mentioned.
0 Kudos