Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ops
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

Stopping hips in Linux(locally), without ePO interaction

I am running a full suite of ePO (5.1.3) deployed products (MA, VSEL, HIPs, ACCM, PA) on my Linux systems. I do not control ePO, but occasionally I have to perform local testing on a Linux host that HIPs interferes with. I am running HIPs 8.0.0.4377.

What is the most effective way to temporarily disable HIPs for testing and then re-enable when testing is complete?

I have tried 'initctl stop hipmon', but this daemon just restarts the HipClient daemon in the event it stops. I don't know that it disables HIPs appropriately.

Also, I have tried the '/opt/McAfee/hip/hipts agent off', but this requires a password set from ePO, which I don't have access to.

Is there another means to temporarily disable HIPs properly?

2 Replies
McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Re: Stopping hips in Linux(locally), without ePO interaction

The '/opt/McAfee/hip/hipts agent off" is the right command to run and requires the admin password set via ePO policy.  If you do not have this, you will need to contact your ePO Admin team to discuss further.

Ops
Level 7
Message 3 of 3

Re: Stopping hips in Linux(locally), without ePO interaction

As I mentioned above, I do not have access to the ePO password, as another group controls that password.  I had been using 'initctl stop hipmon' and 'service httpd stop', but did not know if that stopped all the hips related services.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community