cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alexyangjie
Level 7

Serious mfevtps.exe memory leak in Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0

Hey guys

I have to report a serious mfevtps.exe memory leak issue in HIP 8.0. The client system is Windows 7 SP1 x64. Please see the screenshot below.

leak.png

You can clearly see that this process consumes more than 1GB of memory, which by any definition is abnormal. I have noticed similar cases several times before, but none of them are such serious. I searched on the internet and found that the release note for HIP 7.0 Patch 5 has address this issue. I wonder if McAfee notice the same problem in HIP 8 and are working on a solution in Patch 1.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
McAfee Employee

Re: Serious mfevtps.exe memory leak in Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0

Please open a McAfee Service Request, if you have a support contract.  Please provide a MER file with HIPS IPS/Firewall debug logging enabled and a complete user mode process dump of mfevtps.exe.

KB50930 - How to capture User Mode information using DebugDiag, ADPlus, or Dr. Watson

0 Kudos
alestichy
Level 7

Hi,

I have same problem on one of our machines (W7 SP1 x64, HISP 8.0.0). mfevtps.exe takes 2,8GB.

Do you have any solution or new information?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
alexyangjie
Level 7

No. I think is is certainly a bug in HIP8.0. Now I have uninstalled it and the case never occurs again, though VSE also has a process named mfevtps.exe, which only takes around 2 or 3 MB of memory.

0 Kudos
StefanT
Level 9

Is this only affecting you guys with Windows 7 or has anyone noticed the same with Vista, W2K8 etc?

I'm trialling HIPS 8 at the moment but I haven't noticed anything yet, will go and do some checking!

Stef

0 Kudos
alexyangjie
Level 7

Maybe this is not related to HIP8.0 but VSE8.8, as McAfee recently published a hotfix (HF660014) to address "A memory leak can occur with MFEVTPS.exe and Microsoft .NET runtime support library" issue. Further verification may be needed. Both VSE and HIP share this process.

0 Kudos
alestichy
Level 7

I found that on our machine it is related to firewall and outlook 2007 (and connected pst files). If I have firewall turned off and I turn the outlook on, everything is OK. Than when I turn the firewall on I see that mfevtps.exe starts to allocate the memory.

0 Kudos
alestichy
Level 7

I had this problem on next few computers with W7 64-bit connected with outlook 2007 or Visual Studio 2010. After installation of new version of HIPS (8.0.0.1919 released 28.11.2011) it seems that problem is solved.

0 Kudos