cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmorasco1
Level 7

Route Application Traffic

I am running Windows 7 Enterprise and using Virtual PC running XP to run legacy applications.  What I am looking at doing is controlling the VPC.exe process on the host and blocking all network traffic based on this process.  Then I want to allow the process access to a single website or network resource.  I am currently testing the McAfee Total Protection Suite Host Intrustion Prevention 7.0.4: Firewall.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ajacobs
Level 12

Re: Route Application Traffic

Hi,

I'm not a product expert, but I've moved your post to the Host Intrusion Prevention area. Hopefully someone can help you soon.

0 Kudos
bgable
Level 11

You should be able to create a firewall rule for vpc.exe and specify FQDN of the site for the remote address.

0 Kudos
jmorasco1
Level 7

Is there any documentation for creating advanced rules for the Firewall?  I've searched and haven't been able to find anything.  I've also created a rule to block all traffic (screen shot attached) and a rule to allow the vpc.exe only to one IP (screen shot attached).  Masked the IP for security purposes on the thread.  The allow rule is before the block all rule.

Message was edited by: jmorasco1 on 3/24/10 10:41:26 AM CDT
0 Kudos
bgable
Level 11

Other than the product guide, no.

The 2 rules you specified would work too.

0 Kudos
jmorasco1
Level 7

You would think this would work, but the virtual machine is still capable of accessing other network resources and any website.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

You need to install HIPS firewall in the guest OS to block the outgoing traffic.

0 Kudos
jmorasco1
Level 7

Correct me if i'm wrong.  What you're saying is that the HIPS firewall is incapable of blocking traffic based on a process or application?

0 Kudos