cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Selvazz
Level 7

Mcafee Enterprise & Windows Live Messenger 2009 incompatibility

Hi All,

My company just switch to Mcafee Enterprise. The details are as follows. Since then we had compatibility issues with WLM2009. WLM2009 is able to sign in but it signs out within a few seconds and signs in again. And it keeps doing it over and over again. However, I have no problem accessing WLM2009 at home. It only happens on the corporate network

Webmessenger works fine. I tried using Trillian which connects to server: "messenger.hotmail.net" Port 1863 and it works fine. I also tried Port: 443 and also had no issue. So I believe are ports are not blocked. I understand that there is a patch from Mcafee which addresses this issue but I have no idea where to find the patch? Can some one help?

Mcafee Agent Version: 4.0.0.1444

Host Intrusion Prevention: 7.0.0

Safeboot Device Encryption: 5.1.5

Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise Workstation: 8.7.0.570

Selva

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dries
Level 7

Re: Mcafee Enterprise & Windows Live Messenger 2009 incompatibility

First place I would recommend is looking at HIP settings or known issues.

I have moved this question to the HIP forum to see if the community has more info on yout issue.

0 Kudos
bgable
Level 11

Not sure what version of HIP 7.0 you're running but I would suggest installing the latest patch 6 (7.0.0.1070) and retest the issue.

Please do your testing with HIP verbose logging turned on.  You can do this via ePO policy for HIP/General/ClientUI or locally on the test client by referring to KB51517.

If the issue still occurs, please refer to KB54473 and ensure no security events are being triggered.

If the issue still occurs, please refer to KB54960 and isolate the HIP components to determine whether it is causing a potential issue.

If you need to go further and isolate any IPS engines, start by disabling the HIP IPS Buffer Overflow engine to see if the issue occurs.

If the issue occurs due to a specific engine, please run the McAfee WebMer tool KB59385, for log collection, then open a support case for advanced debugging.

If it appears to be firewall releated, try runing the firewall in adaptive mode to see if any new rules are needed.  Also enable support for non-ip protocols, refer to KB66899

0 Kudos
compudexter
Level 7

I have been facing same issue, I have noticed on logs that firewall blocks Microsoft's IP eventhough I have added Windows Live on safe list / allow list.

Can you please sugest? I have Version number: 7.0.0.953 and not able to find patch 6 (7.0.0.1070)

Please find attached screenshot which shows IP blocked while trying to log on Windows LIVE.

Tejas Shah

0 Kudos
bgable
Level 11

So did you mark "Trusted for Firewall" from the Trusted Application policy?

Patch 6 can be found either on the McAfee Support Service Portal

https://mysupport.mcafee.com

Or the McAfee Product Downloads site with your valid grant #

https://secure.nai.com/apps/downloads/my_products/login.asp

0 Kudos