cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pcuellar
Level 9

McAfee keeps prompting to restart - One or more Mcafee products were installed and require a system restart... WinXP

Hi,

I'm running into an issue with one of our VMs running Windows XP SP3 (keeping it around for an old application that a couple users still need...) in which McAfee has begun to prompt for a restart.   Not a big deal, except that even after restarting multiple times, the prompt keeps on coming back up even after restarting.   I've looked online and there seem to be similar issues reported elsewhere, but I couldn't find a solution that would quite resolve this yet.   Any help with this would be hugely appreciated!

The exact message says:

"

Restart Required

One or more McAfee products were installed and require a system restart.   Press Yes to restart now or press No to restart later.

[Yes]    [No]

"

McAfee information on the system is below

System Information 

Computer Name: USSCAPPS31

McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention 

Version number: 8.0

Build date: Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Build Number: 8.0.0.2151

License Type: Licensed

Expiration Date 

Language: Automatic

Security Content Version: 8.0.0.5510

Security Content Created On: Thursday, April 03, 2014

Patch: 2

McAfee Agent 

Version number: 4.8.0.1500

Managed 

Last security update check: 5/5/2014 5:23:10 PM

Last agent-to-server communication: 5/6/2014 8:57:33 AM

Agent to Server Communication Interval (every): 1 hour

Policy Enforcement Interval (every): 5 minutes

Agent ID: {B85D4DFC-5005-4D7D-99AB-0C5049C0C398}

ePO Server/Agent Handler 

DNS Name:

IP Address:

Port Number:

McAfee SiteAdvisor Enterprise 

Version number: 3.5.0.1121

Language: Multiple

Service Pack 

Version: 2

Install Date: 5/2/2014 12:00:20 PM

Hotfixes 

Version: 907783

Install Date: 5/2/2014 12:00:37 PM

Copyright © 1995-2013 McAfee, Inc. 

All Rights Reserved. 

www.mcafee.com 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee keeps prompting to restart - One or more Mcafee products were installed and require a system restart... WinXP

Moved to HIPS for better support.

0 Kudos
pcuellar
Level 9

Re: McAfee keeps prompting to restart - One or more Mcafee products were installed and require a system restart... WinXP

Thanks @Ex_Brit

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

If HIPS-related, remove the C:\Windows\McAfeeHIP_Reboot file.  Windows is supposed to remove this file after any installation/update, as a PENDINGFILERENAMEOPERATION entry, but sometimes it doesn't.

0 Kudos
pcuellar
Level 9

Kary Tankink wrote:

If HIPS-related, remove the C:\Windows\McAfeeHIP_Reboot file.  Windows is supposed to remove this file after any installation/update, as a PENDINGFILERENAMEOPERATION entry, but sometimes it doesn't.

Thank you for the tip, Kary.    I looked for that McAfeeHIP_Reboot file but was unable to find it anywhere on the computer.    perhaps it has already been deleted?  

Either way, the problem remains :-/

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

The only other suggestion, for HIPS, is to ensure you don't have an ePO deployment task setup to install HIPS too often.  Verify if you have any ePO Deployment task to install HIPS, and make sure that task does not have "

0 Kudos
pcuellar
Level 9

The Deployment policy for HIPS install is not set to enforce at every policy enforcement.    I'm trying to uninstall all McAfee software from this computer and reinstall to see if that make any difference.

For HIPS uninstallation, I'm following instrucions from: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB73127

I'll update here based on what I find...

0 Kudos
pcuellar
Level 9

So I ended up completely removing all McAfee software from this computer and blowing it away from ePO, then re-adding to ePO via AD Sync, pushing the Agent 4.8 & the rest of the mcafee software needed back onto it.   It hasn't prompted for a reboot since.

While this is "fixed", if anyone has any other ideas as to what may have caused this/how to fix this w/o blowing mcafee away from the computer, I'm interested in learning about those options in case this happens again.

Thanks again to all who provided pointers for this; I appreciate your help!

0 Kudos
dcobes
Level 9

I had similar issues in my environment, but the cause was partially due to a bad image-set. Our resolution was to install HIPS8 P4

-d

0 Kudos