Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kblowe
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

How to install HIPS patch via a command line

Jump to solution

HIPS is disabled via ePO. How do I install a HIPS patch via a msiexec command line?

Does this suffice?

msiexec /i McAfeeHIP_ClientPatch12.exe /qb /norestart /lv %temp%\McAfeeHip8_Patch12.log

Or should I use the .msp instead of the .exe ?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Re: How to install HIPS patch via a command line

Jump to solution

HIPS installation is only supported via the McAfeeHIP_ClientSetup.exe or the .EXE (e.g., McAfeeHIP_ClientPatch12.exe; these are hard-coded installers); use of the MSI/MSP files directly is not supported.

Just simply execute the .EXE installer locally on the system (extract all the files out of the .zip file as well) with the Host IPS module (and HIPS Self-protection for Patch9+, if applicable)

3 Replies
McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

HIPS installation is only supported via the McAfeeHIP_ClientSetup.exe or the .EXE (e.g., McAfeeHIP_ClientPatch12.exe; these are hard-coded installers); use of the MSI/MSP files directly is not supported.

Just simply execute the .EXE installer locally on the system (extract all the files out of the .zip file as well) with the Host IPS module (and HIPS Self-protection for Patch9+, if applicable)

kblowe
Level 8
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Ok this should work then. I'm using a 3td party tool to patch HIPS10 to HIPS 12 because one of the HIPS drivers refreshes and taps the network adapter furing patching. I trying to eliminate users network connections being dropped from systems during the HIPS patch. Hopefully 3rd party can install the patch & reboot to eliminate noticing the disconnection.

McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

To clarify, you won't invoke msiexec.exe at all.  Just simply extract the HIPS Update zip file on the local sytsem, disable the Host IPS module and Self-protection feature (if applicable), and execute McAfeeHIP_ClientPatch12.exe.  The .exe installer will invoke all the msiexec and log commands as needed.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community