cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavHio
Level 9

How to block URLs when client is behind a Proxy?

Hi everyone,

Is it in some way possible, using HIPS/IPS 8, to block certain URLs for clients that is behind a proxy server? Or do I have to use something like Web Filtering for Endpoint?

/David

0 Kudos
5 Replies
petersimmons
Level 12

Re: How to block URLs when client is behind a Proxy?

You would be far better served doing this with Web Filtering for Endpoint (Site Advisor). In an emergency you can block domain names using Host IPS (the firewall itself) but that is not the right tool for URL management.

Message was edited by: petersimmons on 11/21/13 9:36:12 AM EST
0 Kudos
DavHio
Level 9

So you think that it would work even tho the clients traffic go through a web proxy? I mean, the clients cant do any DNS queries to Internet themself.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

HIPS does not block URLs (http://www.domain.com/subdomain/files).  HIPS can block by Domain name or by FQDN.  If I recall correctly, both of these require non-proxy communication, since the local system must perform the DNS resolution.  If an application is proxying, then the local system does not perform the DNS lookup locally; the proxy server does the DNS lookup.

0 Kudos
DavHio
Level 9

Thanks Kary, that was my though also. What products of McAfee is the best suited one for this task?

Web Filtering for Endpoint, SiteAdvisor Enterprise v3.5? Im not "read in" on those two in their versions.

Message was edited by: DavHio on 11/22/13 8:08:17 AM CET
0 Kudos
DavHio
Level 9

Never mind my question.. I read up on it.

Thanks

0 Kudos