cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evansd
Level 8

Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0.0.2151 fails to install windows XP machines.

Hi Guys

I'm trying to install HIPS 8.0.0.2151 on Windows XP SP3 32bit systems and i get the following error from the install log:  Product: McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention -- Installation operation failed or Configuration failed.

We had deployed HIPS in the environment and it started causing issues were some XP and windows 7 machines lost network connection and were rebooting, so we had to stop the deployment and uninstall HIPS. now we are trying to deploy again and its failing with the above error. Manual installation fails too. We opened a SR with McAfee about a week ago and we still waiting for a response.

Any ideas to what could be the cause of failing to install?

Install Log from one of the systems is attached.

Another thing that i should point out is that these machines were HIPS 7.0. When i took over, the client us to upgrade McAfee software.

we are running ePO 4.6.5

Agent 4.6.0.3122

VSE 8.8 P3

SiteAdvisor 3.5

RSD 4.7

Thanks

Evans Dube

South Africa

0 Kudos
5 Replies
alexn
Level 14

Re: Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0.0.2151 fails to install windows XP machines.

Remove the previous installation plus registery values as well.

Disable Access protection in VSE and try installation again.

I am not sure but this could be the cause the MFEHIDIN.EXE process used for installing the Host Intrusion Prevention drivers is not properly excluded by the VirusScan Enterprise 8.x Access Protection rule Prevent modification of McAfee files and settings. (This case was with previous versions maybe the rule is trigerring again in your environmen.)

Message was edited by: alexn on 5/6/13 9:01:37 AM CDT
0 Kudos
greatscott
Level 12

things like this drive me nuts. mcafee endpoints should play nice together right out of the box. no having to go in and exclude HIPS processes in VSE, and vice versa.

0 Kudos
greatscott
Level 12

explain your loss of network connectivity? when going from HIPS 7 to HIPS 8 you will experience a momentary loss of connectivity.

0 Kudos
evansd
Level 8

Thanks for your responses,

Greatscott: i mean systems loose network connection whereby they cannot access anything (e.g outlook, internet and cannot ping remote systems). What we did on those systems was to uninstall the network adaptor, reboot the systems and only then they can connect to network resources.

MFEHIDIN.EXE was added to the exclusion list.

0 Kudos
alexn
Level 14

And Yes for windows 7 failure messeges

Change the Registery value and install again

1. Click Start, Run, type regedit and click OK.
  2. Navigate to and select the following registry key.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\MaxNumFilters]

3. In the right pane, double-click MaxNumFilters.
  4. Change Value data from 8 to 14.
  5. Click OK.
  6. Close the registry editor.

Good Luck

0 Kudos