cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zephyr424
Level 7

Hips 7.0 -Disabling Wireless Card When Wired

Hi. New user here, looks like there is some great information in this forum. I think I'll stick around.

A question if I may: Is there a way in Hips 7.0 to disable wireless network cards or block wireless traffic when connected to the wired Lan? In the firewall policy, we have our Basic Networking rules, followed by a 'Wired Lan' Connection Aware Group allowing all traffic, which is followed by a 'Wireless' Connection Aware Group. Isolate This Connection is selected on both CAG's, but when a laptop is connected to the wired Lan, the wireless card still tries to find a Wireless Access Point even though Wireless access should not be granted because the Wired CAG is below the Wired CAG in the rules set. The Hips 7.0 product guide (like Superman) says "YES WE HAVE THE CAPABILITY TO BLOCK THIS" but doesn't give specifics. Does someone have a direction they can point me in, in regards to providing a solution to this dilemma? Thanks in advance for your time.

Darryl
0 Kudos
3 Replies
pwnsyou
Level 7

Re: Hips 7.0 -Disabling Wireless Card When Wired

Hello zephyr424,

Did you get an answer to your question about this? We are trying to do the same thing right now and I am looking for more information.

Thank you,

N

0 Kudos
zephyr424
Level 7

Yes I did. After further testing, we confirmed McAfee Hips and DCM do not have that capability.

0 Kudos
JeffGerard
Level 10

Although HIPS has no physical control over your wireless card and therefore cannot disable it, you can still use CAGs to prevent all traffic to/from the wireless interface.  You just can't get around the "wireless networks found" dialogs that windows likes to spit at you.

Depending on the wireless driver, however, there might be options in the advanced config to disable upon wired connect.  We do this 2 different ways.

1) With our Dell laptops, they have broadcom cards and the driver has the option built in where you can disable upon wired connect

2) With our Lenovo stinkpads, we use hardware profiles.  A docked profile implies wired and therefore wireless is disabled and undocked implies wireless can be used.

HTH

0 Kudos