cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brentil
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

HIPS8 P6 mfefirewall change back to Automatic?

So HIPS8 P6 changed it so the mfefire is no a Manual service.  How do I change it back to Automatic?  I have the Firewall policies set to enabled in ePO like they were before but that doesn't seem to make it enable them.  When I go to the individual machines the services because of VSE/HIPS protections all I can do is start the service but I can not change the Startup Type of it.  I know how to load the system in Safe Mode and manually edit the Startup Type but I have no desire to do that let alone down times right now to do this.  So how do I correctly make this change?

4 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: HIPS8 P6 mfefirewall change back to Automatic?

brentil wrote:

How do I change it back to Automatic?

Do not change the service please.  This is working as designed.

KB85374 - Host IPS 8.0 for Windows Patch 6: New Windows service and changes

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB85374

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 5

PD25972 - Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0 Patch 6 Software for Windows Release Notes

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD25972

McAfee Firewall Core Service startup type set to Manual

For this release, the Startup type for the McAfee Firewall Core Service is set to Manual. The service is no longer started automatically. For more information, see KnowledgeBase article KB85374.

brentil
Level 12
Message 4 of 5

I've read both of those articles but it still doesn't make sense.  When I run the following it tells me mfefire is running but it's not as a Windows service.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore>mmsinfo.exe -query mfefire

SERVICE_NAME:   mfefire

SERVICE_STATUS  SERVICE_RUNNING

Looking in the Windows Task Manager it shows mfefire.exe running too but what's the point of a service that shows as not running but it's really running?  This is confusing.

The "Manual" and "Automatic" startup types relate to the Windows Service Control Manager; from reading the articles, I understand that the new McAfee Management Service is now responsible for starting the required McAfee services.

Having a Windows Service in Manual startup just means that Windows doesn't automatically start it during OS startup; compare that with the startup type of "Disabled" which would prevent the service running at all.