cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pierce
Level 13

HIPS version 7 policies to HIPS version 8?

Jump to solution

Hi There,

I have been slowly rolling out some HIPS 8 machines so have about 10% of machines on this. The rest are all on HIPS 7.

I  am in the process of making some major changes to the HIPS policies, whats the easiest way to get these into the HIPS 8 format?

I know when I first installed I ran the automatic task 'Host IPS Policy Migration'. Once i have made all my changes to Version 7 can i re-run this? Or will it cause issues with the already copied policies?

Should I delete all the HIPS 8 policies before hand or anything like that?

thanks!

Pierce

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee

Re: HIPS version 7 policies to HIPS version 8?

Jump to solution

From the product guide:

NOTE:

Running the policy migration a second time overwrites any policies of the same name

that were migrated previously. This process is not selective, as all existing 6.1 or 7.0 policies

are migrated. If you want to selectively migrate policies, you migrate using the xml file process.

on 6/17/11 12:46:20 PM CDT
0 Kudos
3 Replies
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

HIPS 7.0 policies have to be first migrated to HIPS 8.0 policies.  Please see page 22 of the below product guide for details about the policy migration.

PD22894 - Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0 for ePO 4.5 Product Guide

0 Kudos
pierce
Level 13

Jump to solution

Hey Kary,

Yes I did that. So installed HIPS 8, migrated policies.

Now a few months down the line i need to copy HIPS 7 policies to HIPS 8 again as they are no longer similar.

So if I run the migration task again will it update the policies? create duplicates? cause issues?

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

From the product guide:

NOTE:

Running the policy migration a second time overwrites any policies of the same name

that were migrated previously. This process is not selective, as all existing 6.1 or 7.0 policies

are migrated. If you want to selectively migrate policies, you migrate using the xml file process.

on 6/17/11 12:46:20 PM CDT
0 Kudos