cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPS not Installing after being uninstalled

System: 1703 Windows 10

ePO Server: 5.3.1

HIPS Version: 8 Patch 11

We are currently in a migration from 1703 to 1709 and upgrading all the McAfee products. Each product installs with no issue from the ePO server with the exception of HIPS. 1703 machines were running HIPS patch 9, upgrading to patch 11. ePO would shows it as a sucess in the server task log, but on the local machine it would not update. Tried to use the McAfee product removal tool and it removed HIPS with no issue, but when trying to do either a task install from ePO or manual install locally on the box it doesnt install. I see the generic 1603 error at the end of the logs. We decided to try upgrading in path sequence(9 to 10-to 11) but even when installing patch 10 I get the same error. Please assist.

15 Replies
McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 16

Re: HIPS not Installing after being uninstalled

It would be best to open a Service Request with McAfee Support to investigate the cause of the failure from the HIPS install logs.  MSI 1603 error code is a generic failure message.

We do not have vendor support from McAfee, this is why I took to the forums.

KR
Level 8
Message 4 of 16

You can try to completely uninstall HIPS (recommend you reboot), then install HIPS Patch 12. https://kb.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB91008

We cannot move past HIPS Patch 11

KR
Level 8
Message 6 of 16

Can you still perform a complete uninstall of HIPS, reboot, and install Patch 11?

Additionally this is a known issue with HIPS that McAfee is still working on a fix as described in the support article I linked above (Reference Number 1257771).

I dont believe a "manual" uninstall of HIPS was done. The Removal tool was used and this had no effect on the issue. I also find it hard to believe that patch 4 is still on any of our systems as we have a 2yr lifecycle on all endpoints. Also we are not getting that error number in the logs.

Highlighted
KR
Level 8
Message 8 of 16

Can you roll back to Patch 10?

KR
Level 8
Message 9 of 16

Additionally there were several issues that were observed with Win 10 1709, especially with vulnerability scanners. Can you push for skipping 1709 or updating sooner to 1803?

It seem's we are having the same issue with patch 10. We are in pre upgrade to 1709 that is why we are upgrading the baseline.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support
  • The McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in is now available in the Software Manager. Follow the instructions in the Product Guide for more.