cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPS application blocking question

I have a question that (I hope) should be an easy one for the experts here.

Under "Host Intrusion Prevention 7.0.4:Application Blocking | Application Blocking Options", if neither "Enable applicaton creation" or "Enable application hooking" is checked, does that mean application blocking is blocked altogether by default, or that no application blocking is applied at all?

PG

6 Replies

Re: HIPS application blocking question

(Sorry, when I re-read my own message I thought it was poorly worded; let me try again)

I have a question that (I hope) should be an easy one for the experts here.

Under  "Host Intrusion Prevention 7.0.4:Application Blocking | Application  Blocking Options", if neither "Enable applicaton creation" or "Enable  application hooking" is checked, does that mean all applications are blocked by default, or that no application blocking is  applied at all?

PG

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 7

no application blocking is applied at all

App Creation and Hooking modules and functionality are disabled completely.

Ok, then no application blocking should be getting applied at all then correct? (just so I'm crystal clear)

If no application blocking is being applied, is there anything in HIPS that would prevent a Tomcat webserver from starting up?

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

Ok, then no application blocking should be getting applied at all then correct? (just so I'm crystal clear)

Correct.

If no application blocking is being applied, is there anything in HIPS that would prevent a Tomcat webserver from starting up?

Nothing specific that I can think of.  You might want to check signature violations in Host and Network IPS, and see if you have the Firewall enabled that could block traffic if not properly configured.  Open a Service Request with Support (or whatever process you may use internally), if you need help with troubleshooting.

Clarified support option: Kary Tankink on 9/20/10 2:12:34 PM CDT

Thanks.

The firewall is not enabled, and neither is host or network IPS.

Maybe what they think is an HBSS problem is really a problem with their own application.

PG

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Possibly.  Uninstall Host IPS, reboot, and retest the issue.