cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPS and VPN via Juniper SSG 140

Have been testing HIPS, but ran into a problem, all our remote users who use VPN to connect into the network can no longer connect, anyone else had a similar issue?

Also as a result a device was added in device manager called "deterministic networks wan virtual miniport mcafee ndis intermediate filter" which has a yellow exclamation mark against it indicating no driver.  I presume this is HIPS trying to recreate a device which is being 'monitored' by the HIPS product.

I found the only was to remove this device was through a system restore.

Anyone any ideas,

Thanks in advance

13 Replies
MJT
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 14

Re: HIPS and VPN via Juniper SSG 140

We had the same issue with Network connect specifically and what worked for us is reinstalling the NDIS miniport adapter:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB51676

Good stuff, will give it a go

bgable
Level 11
Message 4 of 14

There has been problems with their drivers in the past.  Make sure you download and apply the latest Deterministic Network drivers...

Message was edited by: bgable on 7/31/10 12:22:32 AM PDT

Are the drivers within the HIPS package in the repositories, or do they have to be downloaded specifically?

McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 14

To reinstall the HIPS NDIS drivers, use the KB article that was posted above.

To get the latest Juniper drivers, as Brad mentioned, contact Juniper Networks.

Hi,

Have just tried following the KB article 'Troubleshooting the McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention 7.0 NDIS Intermediate Miniport Adapter'.

The first instructions say run the following command line:

NET STOP enterceptagent

Unfortunately when I try to execute the command I'm getting the following:

The requested pause or stop is not valid for this service.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2191.

Anyone have any ideas, I've noticed that I can't event stop the service from service.msc.  The next service (NET STOP firepm) stops without any problem.

Apologies, managed to stop the service by disabling IPS on the computer

Still getting Deterministic Networks WAN Virtual miniport - McAfee NDIS Intermediate Filter Miniport problem in device manager.  Going to try and get updated VPN drivers for our Firewall.

Have now installed lastest VPN drivers and still unable to use VPN, still got yellow exclamation mark by the Deterministic Networks WAN Virtual miniport - McAfee NDIS Intermediate Filter Miniport, anyone have any ideas on how to resolve, is there a policy setting for ignoring a VPN adapter?  Not exactly convenient as we got the HIPS module mainly to protect our 'mobile' workers and the ones that mainly VPN into our system.  Find it hard to believe that they only support 5 main VPN solutions.