Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngelU
Level 7

HIPS: Unable to uninstall, modify policy, unlock UI

I am hoping for a miracle...

Here is my situation:

I currently have McAfee Agent and HIPS 7 installed on one of my clustered Exchange servers. I noticed that my server never checked into the ePO server. I uninstalled/reinstalled the agent using the /force(un)install with no results.

In the HIPS Activity Log, I see that the Firewall Policy is blocking incoming traffic from my ePO server. I tried unlocking the UI using the default password (abcde12345) but was unsuccessful. Without the UI password, I am unable to make appropriate changes to enable communication with the ePO server.

Does anyone know of a way to reset the UI password on the local machine? Or does anyone know of a way to manually copy the policies from the ePO server to the local machine?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
gerryrigney
Level 9

RE: HIPS: Unable to uninstall, modify policy, unlock UI

We've had similar issues lately, what worked for us was to (While on the affected client PC)

-Disable McAfee Framework Serveice
-Disable OnAccess scanner for VSE (If its installed)
-Delete the "compiled.xml" and "server.xml" from "c:\documents and settings\all users\network associates\common framework)
-Re-enable On Access Scanner
-Start the Framework Service
-Send a wakeup call from the ePO server to the client

This got HIPS talking to our ePO server again and policies updating. Problem is it seems to be happening a fair few machines.

HTH
gR
0 Kudos
SergeM
Level 9

The password may be set/reset from the ePO Console but that only works if your Agent communicates with the server !?
If it wasn't set, I found that on many of my systems the "default" was "no password" (i.e. blank, not the "abcde12345").

hope it helps
0 Kudos
AngelU
Level 7

Thank you for your responses!! I will let you know the outcome. =)
0 Kudos
AngelU
Level 7

It worked!!

After stopping the framework service (I didn't have VSE loaded on the server) and deleting the compiled.xml and server.xml files, the server started communicating the ePO server. Thank you both so much for your input and help!!

Angel
0 Kudos
gerryrigney
Level 9

RE: It worked!!

Glad it's working Angel!
0 Kudos