Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
khelms
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

HIPS Install from ePO error

HIPS is not part of my production environment yet. No other versions of HIPS has been deployed. This is part of a pilot install prior to pushing to production.

On a single machine (Windows 7 64-bit) that I am trying to install HIPS on is returning an error in the install log that doesn't make sense to me and I can't figure out how to get around it.

The error is basically saying in order to upgrade to HIPS 8 Patch 8, it first has to already have Hips 8 Patch 4 installed. I am not trying to upgrade. Following is an excerpt from the log:

MSI (s) (A8:8C) [09:54:08:872]: Doing action: LaunchConditions

Action ended 12:22:28: LogPackageInfo. Return value 1.

Action start 9:54:08: LaunchConditions.

MSI (s) (A8:8C) [09:54:08:873]: Product: McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention -- Upgrade is supported only if McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0 Patch 4 or later is installed.

Upgrade is supported only if McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0 Patch 4 or later is installed.

Action ended 9:54:08: LaunchConditions. Return value 3.

However on other machines that ePO has successfully pushed HIPS to, I see a log similar to the following:

MSI (s) (8C:14) [12:22:28:740]: Doing action: LaunchConditions

Action ended 12:22:28: LogPackageInfo. Return value 1.

Action start 12:22:28: LaunchConditions.

MSI (s) (8C:14) [12:22:28:741]: Skipping action: BuildToBuildInstallError (condition is false)

MSI (s) (8C:14) [12:22:28:741]: Skipping action: CheckForInlineReinstall (condition is false)

MSI (s) (8C:14) [12:22:28:741]: Skipping action: InvalidInlineError (condition is false)

MSI (s) (8C:14) [12:22:28:741]: Skipping action: NewerFoundError (condition is false)

MSI (s) (8C:14) [12:22:28:741]: Doing action: CheckForLegacyVersion

Action ended 12:22:28: LaunchConditions. Return value 1.

Any advice/assistance is greatly appreciated.

7 Replies
ahawke
Level 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: HIPS Install from ePO error

silly question but... same package being deployed to successful and non-successful?

khelms
Level 7
Message 3 of 8

Yup, same package.

McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

It sounds like HIPS is already installed, or at least partially installed.  You'll probably want to open a Service Request (if available) for have this reviewed further and/or obtain the Removal tool to completely remove HIPS from the system.

khelms
Level 7
Message 5 of 8

The advice I received from support (so far) is that it the Return 3 code is related to syscore being broken in either the McAfee Agent or VSE that is already installed. They suggested removing all products and re-installing. Not ideal if I see this on a larger pool, but that is going to be my next step.

McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Return value 3 simply means a specific installer action failed which triggers installation termination.  That specifically does not point to Syscore being broken on the system.  The failure (as far as I can see) is that the HIPS 8 P8 installer is detecting that HIPS 8.0 P0 to P3 is installed, therefore cancels the install (due to this prereq).  The HIPS 8 P8 release notes state that Patch4 is the requirement for an upgrade; a fresh install of HIPS 8.0 does not have this requirement though.

McAfee Corporate KB - Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0 Patch 8 Release Notes PD26623

This release includes these items:

• Patch — Updates McAfee Host IPS 8.0.0 clients running Patch 4 and later.

• Full installation — Includes the full McAfee Host IPS installation for new clients

khelms
Level 7
Message 7 of 8

That'st where it's confusing, because the system has never had HIPS. This was a fresh full install.

ahawke
Level 7
Message 8 of 8

On a machine throwing this error (also a machine you have not tried to install if possible), check the registry and see if there are any entries in the reg specific to HIPS. If so, can you provide a screenshot?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community