cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bcs1211
Level 7

HIPS Install Through ePO Not Working

Jump to solution

Just recently we are having an issue with HIPS installing on new laptops through ePO.  The user keeps getting the message to Reboot To Complete the Installation Of HIPS but the product is not installed.  When I look in the Protection Access Log I see that it is being blocked by an Access Protection policy.  Prevent modification of McAfee files and settings.  The executable that is being blocked is C:\Program Files\McAfee\VirusScan Enterprise\mfehidin.exe, however this is included as an exclusion in my policy.  I have disabled that policy and now it seems to be working.  That is not an acceptable fix as we need that option checked.  Any ideas please.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bgable
Level 11

Re: HIPS Install Through ePO Not Working

Jump to solution

The 499 BO/AP DAT posted last Thursday resolved this.

Marking assumed answered...

0 Kudos
18 Replies
bgable
Level 11

Jump to solution

If this is reproducable, please open a support case and provide 'steps to reproduce', product versions etc. and ask that the SR be escalated to Tier 3 so we can get this looked at.

0 Kudos
bcs1211
Level 7

Jump to solution

I will setup a test environment for this request as I had to disable the policy because it was affecting our production environment.  I am also waiting on a new grant number from McAfee as our expired and Italy only recently renewed the contract.  Once I get those two things in order I will open the case.  I was curious if anyone else had this issue.  I can safe the access protection log from one of the laptops that was having the issue.  Thank you for your response.

0 Kudos
Mal09
Level 12

Jump to solution

I'm wondering if it might be related to this issue:

http://community.mcafee.com/message/123196

(McAfee KB https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67452)

Message was edited by: Mal09 on 08/04/10 16:18:17 GMT
0 Kudos
Mal09
Level 12

Jump to solution

Thinking about this more, the technote above probably isn't the same issue as it only refers to the CMA components in it. But I suspect the issue is something similar.

0 Kudos
andymease
Level 10

Jump to solution

I just wanted to let you know that we are seeing this type of issue as well - though right now it seems it might be only on certain newer model laptops.

Example errors from AP log:

4/8/2010    4:26:20 PM    Blocked by Access Protection rule     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM    C:\Program Files\McAfee\Host Intrusion Prevention\hipscore\mfehidin.exe    \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\mfehidk\InstallReference.C__Program_Files_McAfee_Host_Intrusion_Prevention_hipscore_mfehidin.exe    Common Standard Protection revent modification of McAfee files and settings    Action blocked : Delete
4/8/2010    4:26:20 PM    Blocked by Access Protection rule     NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM    C:\Program Files\McAfee\Host Intrusion Prevention\hipscore\mfehidin.exe    \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\mfetdik\Inst

Andrew

0 Kudos
bcs1211
Level 7

Jump to solution

Andrew this is exactly the issue I am having.  I had to disable the Access Protection option under Common Standard Protection "Prevent modification of McAfee files and settings".

This started happening last week.  Prior to that everything was working fine.  We are having the issue on laptops that don't have HIPS installed and are installing it for the first time through epo.

I do not have a valid grant number yet or I would open a case with McAfee.  That's another story.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
relayer77
Level 10

Jump to solution

I am experiencing the same issue, Says common standard protection : prevent modification of mcafee files and settings is blocking my hips install from my epo server. I've temp disabled the AV rule and will report back with outcome.

0 Kudos
andymease
Level 10

Jump to solution

I've escalated this to McAfee and will let you know if/when I hear something back...

Andrew

0 Kudos
bcs1211
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks Andrew.  If I come up with anything I will let you know also.

0 Kudos