Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

HIPS Custom Signature for File access

I have luckily drawn the short straw and have been handed a project to protect some data.  I am trying to implement this through HIPS.  I need to be able to read all of the data from this special folder, block writes, and block the data from being copied from this special folder to all locations except local drives. There are two exceptions two this rule.  They should be able to write to two subfolders within the special folder and local drives.  I can get the rule to trigger in the HIPS console just fine.  Now I am working on the exceptions.  Where would I put in the exceptions for all local drives and "SpecialFolder1" and "SpecialFolder2" to allow them to write these files to those locations.

Respectfully,

Chris Priester

Update:

I got the two folders excluded, but still cannot manage to exclude local hard drives.

i have tried:

files {exclude "C:\\**"}

and

drive_types {exclude "HardDrive"}

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1 Reply
greatscott
Level 12
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: HIPS Custom Signature for File access

You aren't able to do a few of the things you are talking about. First, you are not going to be able to "read" all data from your folder, via HIPS. Second, you cannot block copies to selected drives. For the purposes of HIPS Custom Signatures, you are basically limited to directives of execute, write, create, etc.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community