cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kink80
Level 12

HIPS 8.0 Patch 1 Release Date?

Jump to solution

I was just curious to see what the soft or hard release date is for HIPS 8.0 P1.  As HIPS 8.0 has been out since 12/2010 I would expect that a patch will soon be coming and if so I will hold off on deploying HIPS 8.0 until the patch has been released. Thanks in advance.

Message was edited by: kink80 on 7/20/11 9:22:13 AM GMT-06:00
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee

Re: HIPS 8.0 Patch 1 Release Date?

Jump to solution

HIPS 8.0 Patch 1 is tentatively scheduled for late Q3 release.

My understanding (which is basic I admit) is that the version 8 wont need to re-build the IP stack so updates can be rolled out much more seamlessly.

To clarify this statement, HIPS 8.0 uses Microsoft NDIS 6.0.  With NDIS 6.0, inserting a NDIS driver does not require a tear down of the network stack.  Windows Vista and higher operating systems (Vista, 7, and 2008) use NDIS 6.0.  Older OSes (Win XP, 2003) only use NDIS 5.0.  HIPS 8.0 does have a NDIS 5.0 compatible driver that it installs, but due to the operating system limitation, the network stack will still require a tear down to install.

KB59945 -

McAfee Product Management Statement - Impact of NDIS drivers during McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention installation

0 Kudos
16 Replies
pierce
Level 13

Jump to solution

Hey Kink80,

why would you hold off?

My understanding (which is basic I admit) is that the version 8 wont need to re-build the IP stack so updates can be rolled out much more seamlessly.

thanks,

Pierce

0 Kudos
kink80
Level 12

Jump to solution

I generally like to wait to deploy a major version upgrade such as HIPS 7 to HIPS 8 until the first patch is released. That way I get to see what obstacles or bugs exist from afar rather than on the frontline. I do have some test machines on HIPS 8 but if a patch is close to being released why upgrade just to take the patch a few days later?

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

HIPS 8.0 Patch 1 is tentatively scheduled for late Q3 release.

To clarify this statement, HIPS 8.0 uses Microsoft NDIS 6.0.  With NDIS 6.0, inserting a NDIS driver does not require a tear down of the network stack.  Windows Vista and higher operating systems (Vista, 7, and 2008) use NDIS 6.0.  Older OSes (Win XP, 2003) only use NDIS 5.0.  HIPS 8.0 does have a NDIS 5.0 compatible driver that it installs, but due to the operating system limitation, the network stack will still require a tear down to install.

KB59945 -

McAfee Product Management Statement - Impact of NDIS drivers during McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention installation

0 Kudos
kink80
Level 12

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update on the release date and clarification on the NDIS versions.

0 Kudos
kink80
Level 12

Jump to solution

Any new updates on the release of HIPS 8.0 Patch 1? Thanks!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

According to my McAfee contact who got in touch with Tier 3, the patch was supposed to be released today but it has now been put on hold "to make sure they have enough test cases/customers that have tested it and given it the green light."  Not sure exactly what that means, nor do I have a new date at this point.  I guess we'll have to stay tuned.

0 Kudos
kink80
Level 12

Jump to solution

Thanks for sharing that information.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I received the HIPS 8 Patch 1 "Patch" today from my support contact, but the full version looks to be released next week sometime.

0 Kudos
kink80
Level 12

Jump to solution

Patch 1 for HIPS 8.0 has been released!

0 Kudos