cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kink80
Level 12

HIPS 7.0.1159 to HIPS 8.0 Local client rules

Jump to solution

I have a question after reading the HIPS 8.0 Installation Guide, specifically the section for Migrating Policies where it states "IPS Client Rules and Firewall Client Rules are not migrated". Does this mean that all of the local client rules that are in place on my machines will need to be recreated once HIPS 8.0 is installed? If so this represents a significant amount of work locally as by last count there were over 700 locally created HIPS rules on my machines. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee

Re: HIPS 7.0.1159 to HIPS 8.0 Local client rules

Jump to solution

kink80 wrote:

Does this mean that all of the local client rules that are in place on my machines will need to be recreated once HIPS 8.0 is installed? If so this represents a significant amount of work locally as by last count there were over 700 locally created HIPS rules on my machines.

Yes, local client rules do not migrate.  Local client rules exist so that you can make decisions on how to add them to your ePO policy.  They are not meant to be retained on the client permanently, as the last step before finalizing the HIPS policy tuning is to disable the "Retain existing client rules when this policy is enforced" option in the Firewall and IPS Options policies, therefore removing all client-side rules from every system (to enforce the ePO policy rules only).

If you have systems that require local client side rules, you need to add these rules to your ePO policy before you migrate to the Host IPS 8.0 product version.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

kink80 wrote:

Does this mean that all of the local client rules that are in place on my machines will need to be recreated once HIPS 8.0 is installed? If so this represents a significant amount of work locally as by last count there were over 700 locally created HIPS rules on my machines.

Yes, local client rules do not migrate.  Local client rules exist so that you can make decisions on how to add them to your ePO policy.  They are not meant to be retained on the client permanently, as the last step before finalizing the HIPS policy tuning is to disable the "Retain existing client rules when this policy is enforced" option in the Firewall and IPS Options policies, therefore removing all client-side rules from every system (to enforce the ePO policy rules only).

If you have systems that require local client side rules, you need to add these rules to your ePO policy before you migrate to the Host IPS 8.0 product version.

0 Kudos
kink80
Level 12

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response Kary. We do need to allow local HIPS client rules because of the environment I work in has a varying need for rules that I do not want on devices as a whole or selected group.

0 Kudos
kink80
Level 12

Jump to solution

Sorry to rehash this but is there a way to copy out the local HIPS 7 rules and then import them back into HIPS 8 even on a machine by machine basis?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Hi. Local rules are meant to be temporary while you are building your ruleset.  They do not migrate between versions and there is no way to export/import them locally or via ePO.

0 Kudos
kink80
Level 12

Jump to solution

Thanks for humoring me once again!

0 Kudos