cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noodles
Level 7

HIPS 6.1 removal via console

Hi All,

I'm currently running HIPS 7.0 patch 5 on most of our machines. However, ePO is reporting a few hundred machines that are still running the old HIPS 6.1.

Someone (not me!) has installed HIPS on desktop machines in our environment so I obviously want to remove it.

The issue is that these machines are probably several in number and we don't have the time/resources to remove HIPS manually from these machines.

I do have a HIPS uninstall task set up but this will only work with HIPS 7 and I don't have HIPS 6.1 checked in to my master repository to create a task

for removing 6.1.

I had the 'bright' idea of picking up a copy of 6.1 client and server from McAfee, i had the intention of trying to check it into a previous or evaluation branch

to create an uninstall task for 6.1.

When I tried to check it in though I got an error of "Package missing required pkgcatalog.z file"

I am running ePO 4.0 patch 6 by the way.

Any ideas how I can do this without having to resort to the painful task of manual removal?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bgable
Level 11

Re: HIPS 6.1 removal via console

HIP 7.0 will upgrade the 6.1 clients.   Are you stating they don;t have ePO connectivity?

0 Kudos
noodles
Level 7

The issue isn't with machines that need to be upgraded from 6.1 to 7.0. Its that there are machines that have HIPS 6.1 installed where they shouldn't. Mainly desktop machines that we do not want HIPS installed at all.

So I need to remove HIPS 6.1 completely from these particular machines but I've got no way of setting up an uninstall task from ePO.

I'm wondering if I can perhaps create a command line uninstall but not sure how to?

0 Kudos
noodles
Level 7

Found a workaround. Don't know why I didn't think of it earlier but there you go.

PC's with HIPS 6.1, migrate to 7.0 and then create HIPS 7 uninstall task. Thus removing all traces of HIPS. Job done.

0 Kudos