Message 1 of 3

HIP only available as test license

Hi everyone,

a customer is currently running this Setup:

ePO5.10, update
Agent   5.5.2.117
DLP 11.2.0.4
VSE 8.8.0.687

When I want to check in "McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention 8.0" (current version is 8.0.0.2919) the Distribution Type states, that it is a test-version.
Having deployed it to a client, the info-box of the McAfee-Agent says it it licensed till june.

I do not find any other HIP related product in the Software Catalog (aside from the "McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention Firewall Only 8.0" and ENS).

We currently do not want to install McAfeeEndpoint Security, because we have an older version running on a different server and want to try to keep the policies.

My questions:
1. Am I missing a license key (there are three keys displayed when I log into the download portal, but the GUI in Software Catalog only allows me to enter one key)?
2. Do I have to install HIPS manually (https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Host-Intrusion-Prevention-Host/How-to-install-HIPS-patch-via-a-comma...) ?
3. Is it possible to only use ENS for the HIP functions parallel to the already installed and configured VSE?

Thank your very much

Hanno

2 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: HIP only available as test license

As you are using ePO all product related information will be coming from the license key you've entered. I would suggest contacting customer services who can help look into the license key and check what you are licensed for and for how long. 

The entered license key can be found within the ePO server settings. You can also update it here as well in case you have a newer license key.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: HIP only available as test license

My questions:
1. Am I missing a license key (there are three keys displayed when I log into the download portal, but the GUI in Software Catalog only allows me to enter one key)?
2. Do I have to install HIPS manually (https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Host-Intrusion-Prevention-Host/How-to-install-HIPS-patch-via-a-comma...) ?
3. Is it possible to only use ENS for the HIP functions parallel to the already installed and configured VSE?

1. It sounds like you may have an eval version of the HIPS 8.0 installer zip file (8.0.0.2919 is the Patch 4 build from Dec 2013; ref KB70778).  I'm not sure why you have this old of a build, but I would suggest contacting your Salesperson or Customer Service regarding your licensed products (e.g., obtain the licensed version of the product vs any eval version; licensing for HIPS IPS/Firewall or HIPS Firewall-only, etc.).  Typically, your McAfee Grant Number can be used to download the HIPS client/extension software from the website as well (rather than using the ePO Software Manager).  HIPS doesn't use any "license keys" specifically to install/active, but there is a HIPS License extension for use in ePO that is needed to activate the HIPS IPS functionality on the installed client (changes from HIPS FW-only to HIPS IPS/FW functionality).  

2. HIPS can be installed locally on the system or via ePO Agent Deployment tasks, but it still fully requires an ePO server to manage the HIPS product policies/activation.

3. ENS cannot be installed at the same time as VSE (ENS will uninstall VSE).  You can use ENS and HIPS in parallel though, but be aware that HIPS is the "dominant" product in regards to overlapping functionality (e.g., HIPS IPS vs ENS Exploit Prevention for IPS/NIPS functionality, and HIPS Firewall vs ENS Firewall functionality).  HIPS will disable the overlapping features in ENS.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community