cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIP V 8 Patch 13 un-install

Jump to solution

I had problems installing patch 13. It would tell me it was done and keep showing up as needing to be installed. BUT I'm thinking it was installed as my checked in version shows 8.0.0.4990 and patch 12 shows version 8.0.0.4789 available. How do I un-install patch 13 and go back to patch 12?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: HIP V 8 Patch 13 un-install

Jump to solution

@bonniebeth wrote:

How do I un-install patch 13 and go back to patch 12?

Hi @bonniebeth  You can uninstall HIPS 8.0 Patch 13 via an ePO Deployment task (set to Remove), or uninstall it locally from the system via KB73127.

Reboot after the uninstall, then you should be able to run the HIPS 8.0 P12 deployment install on the system.

Details about install/uninstall are documented in the HIPS 8.0 Installation Guide PD22891, starting page 36.

5 Replies
McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

@bonniebeth wrote:

How do I un-install patch 13 and go back to patch 12?

Hi @bonniebeth  You can uninstall HIPS 8.0 Patch 13 via an ePO Deployment task (set to Remove), or uninstall it locally from the system via KB73127.

Reboot after the uninstall, then you should be able to run the HIPS 8.0 P12 deployment install on the system.

Details about install/uninstall are documented in the HIPS 8.0 Installation Guide PD22891, starting page 36.

McDuff
Level 10
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

We're having this problem too. 

Is this a known issue with HIPS 8 patch 13 that older versions can't be upgraded via ePO?   It's very inconvenient to have to create a separate client task assignment to perform the uninstall first since and you can't bundle both the uninstall and install  of HIPS together into the same task.

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

We do not have any known issues about this. You should be able to upgrade clients running HIPS patch 10 and later (this is stated in the release notes: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD28342).

If you are finding you need to remove and uninstall freshly then please raise a service request with us and share the logs so we can investigate. There may also be a simple reason why your upgrade is failing.

Just to add as a comment - The EPR Tool should only be used as a last resort if everything else fails. By just stripping the systems and not reporting it to us, we may be unaware of this being an issue and would never be able to address it. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
McDuff
Level 10
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

I retested this and confirmed:  ePO reports the upgrade as successful, but PC is still at patch 11.

Service Request ticket opened.

McDuff
Level 10
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

I got an update from support:  You cannot upgrade HIPS using a Product Deployment task - this is indeed a known issue the task will report successful but not actually upgrade the client.

Support suggests that I use a Product Upgrade task instead, but these are a pain to use, especially if you're using branches, and:

1) You have nightly "update all" tasks, and don't want all systems to be upgraded at once, or

2) You want to deploy from the Evaluation branch (like us), in which case you need to change McAfee Agent settings on target systems to pull updates from the Evaluation branch, and then remember to change them back to Current, which is inconvenient.

So it sounds like our current workaround of uninstalling HIPS 8 patch11, and then re-installing HIPS patch 13 is the only workaround.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community