cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loaned_brain
Level 9

HIP 8.0.0 Incorrectly allow through remote traffic under Allow Loopback rule?

Jump to solution

Hi Everybody,

I am configuring the firewall for HIP deployment. While testing it, I discovered (HIP window -> Activity Log -> Traffic Logging -> Enable Log All Allowed) that the following traffic occures:

Allowed Incoming TCP - Source 172.X.X.177: (60153) Destination 10.X.X.213 : ms-ds (445) Allow Loopback

The packets in question are SMB packets. (Verified with Wireshark on both sending and receiving side)

I narrowed it down, that the match is based on the "Local IP Address(es) = Any Local IP Address" option.

Now, this traffic originates from another (physical) computer from a completely different subnet (but same corporate LAN).

Is this a bug? This behavior is constant. If I disable this rule, the local loopback is disabled from the allowed traffic, I tried it. With this option enabled, the local loopbacks are working fine (and also allowes through other traffic).

If I messed up something, what do I need to change in order to allow regular loopbacks and filter this odd behavior?

Thanks

--

Loaned Brain

HIP 8.0.0.2151

Security Content 8.0.0.4587

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee

Re: HIP 8.0.0 Incorrectly allow through remote traffic under Allow Loopback rule?

Jump to solution

I checked the McAfee Default firewall rule Allow Loopback, as well as the same rule in the HIPS 8.0 Catalog, but I only see two network entries in that default rule:  ::1 and 127.0.0.1.  I'm running the latest HIPS 8.0 P2 extension (8.0.0.563) and the latest HIPS Content is checked into the ePO Master Repository (8.0.0.4587) though.

I checked my ePO 4.5 server with the HIPS 8.0 P1 extension (8.0.0.528), in the HIPS 8 Catalog, the Allow Loopback rule only has ::1 and 127.0.0.1 in the localhost Local Network object.

I'm not seeing this information on my ePO server.

loaned_brain wrote:

In ePO Policy Catalog ->HIP 8.0 Firewall -> McAfee Default (Read Only) Firewall Rules (Win) - This is the one that I duplicated -> Allow Loopback

Local networks, open localhost on the right side and the addresses are

• ::1
  • 169.254.0.0/16
  • [local]  -> This is the issue
  • ff02::1:3
0 Kudos
8 Replies
rstevekadish
Level 9

Re: HIP 8.0.0 Incorrectly allow through remote traffic under Allow Loopback rule?

Jump to solution

Hi Brain,

Where is this "Local IP address(es) = Any Local IP addresses" option? 

In my rule for allowing loopback, I have the Local Network defined as "localhost = ::1 or 127.0.0.1" which I got from the built-in catalog.

Do you have the latest extensions for HIPS?

HTH,

- Steve

0 Kudos
loaned_brain
Level 9

Jump to solution

In ePO Policy Catalog ->HIP 8.0 Firewall -> McAfee Default (Read Only) Firewall Rules (Win) - This is the one that I duplicated -> Allow Loopback

• 169.254.0.0/16

In software Manager, no updates are available for anything. (Checked just now, on 10/18/12)

Is there any extensions for HIPS? (We have both the IPS & Firewall version, 8.0.0.4587 Patch 2)

0 Kudos
rstevekadish
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi,

There are extensions for HIPS, under Software -> Extensions.  The latest version is 8.0.0.563.

- Steve

0 Kudos
loaned_brain
Level 9

Jump to solution

That is for the server side and it is running.

0 Kudos
rstevekadish
Level 9

Jump to solution

Right - the server-side extensions are what I was referring to.  The reason I asked is because I know that McAfee changed some behavior related to the loopback rules in HIPS 8 SP1, and when I was dealing with similar issues to yours McAfee tech support had me check that I had the latest extensions.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

I checked the McAfee Default firewall rule Allow Loopback, as well as the same rule in the HIPS 8.0 Catalog, but I only see two network entries in that default rule:  ::1 and 127.0.0.1.  I'm running the latest HIPS 8.0 P2 extension (8.0.0.563) and the latest HIPS Content is checked into the ePO Master Repository (8.0.0.4587) though.

I checked my ePO 4.5 server with the HIPS 8.0 P1 extension (8.0.0.528), in the HIPS 8 Catalog, the Allow Loopback rule only has ::1 and 127.0.0.1 in the localhost Local Network object.

I'm not seeing this information on my ePO server.

loaned_brain wrote:

• 169.254.0.0/16
0 Kudos
loaned_brain
Level 9

Jump to solution

Okay, thank you. I will just assume that something went wrong on our side. We came across other issues with HIPS and decided not to use it.

Message was edited by: loaned_brain on 10/26/12 11:15:52 AM CDT
0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Jump to solution

Does your Allow Loopback firewall rule include Any Local IP Address?  By the name of the rule, I would have assumed that it would include the 127.0.0.0/8 loopback addresses only.

0 Kudos