Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lhcit
Level 7

Firewall installed on Hyper-v, now the server is unmanageable

Jump to solution

Greetings,

First timer with McAfee products. We recently installed McAfee firewall on a Hyper-V 2012 Core server (latest version of the agents). The agents are using all the default policies for ePol 5.1. The ePol server is a vm on this Hyper-V host. Now the Hyper-V server cannot be managed and we cannot RDP into the ePol server to change the policies.

I realize this is a rookie mistake, but I could use some help disabling or uninstalling the agent from the Hyper-V core server please.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
greatscott
Level 12

Re: Firewall installed on Hyper-v, now the server is unmanageable

Jump to solution

do you manage the ePolicy Orchestrator server in your environment? you need to assign a HIPS 8.0 Firewall Options policy to it that has the firewall turned OFF. if you dont manage ePolicy Orchestrator in your environment, you need to obtain the HIPS Unlock password to temporarily turn off the firewall.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Hi,

This doesn't belong in the consumer section.  Can you tell me what McAfee product you are talking about please?  I will then move it accordingly.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/05/14 4:20:38 EDT PM
0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

Same question - which firewall? This would seem critical so why not call your platinum support person?

0 Kudos
lhcit
Level 7

Jump to solution

HIPS 8.0 firewall.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Moved to Business > HIP.

0 Kudos
greatscott
Level 12

Jump to solution

do you manage the ePolicy Orchestrator server in your environment? you need to assign a HIPS 8.0 Firewall Options policy to it that has the firewall turned OFF. if you dont manage ePolicy Orchestrator in your environment, you need to obtain the HIPS Unlock password to temporarily turn off the firewall.

0 Kudos
lhcit
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thats it! Thanks.

0 Kudos
fuzziest
Level 9

Jump to solution

I turned on HIPS on a Windows 2008 server once (the McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention Windows service was previously  turned off) and it froze. We rebooted it but it hung up on the initializing Windows startup screen. To fix it, we had to reboot into safe mode, disable HIPS (disable the service again), then on the next boot it came back up successfully.

Message was edited by: fuzziest on 5/14/14 10:19:50 AM HST
0 Kudos