cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SeaWalker999
Level 7

Firewall client configuration data location?

I need to be able to find the location on the client machine where the configuration data is stored that tells the Firewall to run in Learn Mode or not. I've looked in the registry and at the files in Program files and C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data pertaining to Mcafee and can't find a readable file that contains the startup data for the firewall (HIPS) service. Anyone know where this data is located on the client machine and can share with me?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Firewall-Joe
Level 9

RE: Firewall client configuration data location?

The data is kept in the file, firenetprefs.txt. It won't matter that you know the name of the file, it's not readable. That file is encoded and if you change it, HIP will think it's corrupted and replace it with a backup copy.

What's the problem?

Joe
0 Kudos
SeaWalker999
Level 7

Joe,

I'm in a pretty large environment, and we use another product (from CA) to inventory our software and settings on our workstations. Our CA people are wanting to be able to determine the LearnMode setting via that capability. Since the data is encoded, we won't be able to do it. However, in meantime, we've determined that we can report these settings via a direct SQL query of our EPO databases.

What's happened is that we are currently deploying in Adaptive Mode, and occasionally that file must be getting corrupted and being placed in default mode. In default mode, it is interfering with our CA products and we are trying to be proactive in finding those machines and getting them back into regular mode.

I thought that I was right about the firenetprefs file, but it is good to get confirmation.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Firewall-Joe
Level 9

If the firenetprefs is getting corrupted, it sounds like your experiencing the CMA policy corruption problem. What version of CMA are you running?
0 Kudos
SeaWalker999
Level 7

Cma 3.6.0.574
0 Kudos
Firewall-Joe
Level 9

You've got patch 3 installed but did you perform the mitigation?
KB article 614122
0 Kudos
protector
Level 9

All you really have to do is disable HIPS and delete the firenetprefs.txt file. Re-enable HIPS and send an agent wakeup call. This will create another firenetprefs.txt.
0 Kudos
Firewall-Joe
Level 9

The server.xml and compiled.xml are the source of the corrupted firenetprefs.txt.
They have to be removed prior to ASCI or CMA won't request a new policy from the ePO server.
0 Kudos
protector
Level 9

server.xml and compiled.xml should have already been recreated. If you look in the directory you will see the corrupt xml files and the newly created xml files. The only thing that doesn't get recreated is the firenetprefs.txt. If you delete it, it will pull the new policies.

If you want peace of mind you can delete the corrupt files.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Firewall-Joe
Level 9

If the server and compiled XML's don't need to be deleted, why would McAfee create a KB article telling you to do that. Wouldn't you think that if it wasnt' necessary they wouldn't put it in the article?

BTW, once you get corrupted, you'll keep getting corrupted due to the fact that if CMA performs 2 ASCI's within 1 minute, the second ASCI will be ask for an incremental policy.
HIP requires a full policy with every ASCI. If HIP receives an incremental policy, it will lose all it's firewall rules and quarantine the system. The only way to recover from that is to boot into safe mode disable the firesvc. SeaWalker has been lucky enough that HIP sees empty firenetprefs and replaces it with the backup, fireknownprefs.txt.

If you doubt the KB article's instructions, open a support ticket with McAfee.
0 Kudos