cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amaranth
Level 7

Error on start up "1 unhandled error occurred..."

Hi, I'd really appreciate some help on this. I'm not sure if this is the right sub-forum since I'm not sure which is the problem program (maybe Enterprise, maybe Firewall?) and there doesn't seem to be a sub-forum for asking general questions.

Every time my computer starts up, I get the message:

"1 unhandled error occurred while the Network Associates error reporting service was not running, process these now?"

After Googling the error, it seems this is associated with McAfee? I don't remember how long ago it was that I used McAfee, but it was for a short time, and I'm obviously still using it in some way.

I found a folder called "Network Associates" in Programs, so I deleted that, and when I went into the Windows uninstall utility, McAfee Desktop Firewall 8.5 was listed, and when I uninstalled, it said that I had already uninstalled, and so it removed itself from the list. From reading a suggestion from another board that addressed the same error message, I took a look at my list of start up programs, and McAfeeFireTray and McAfeeUpdaterUI were listed and checked. I unchecked the two, but I still get the error upon start up, and I'm not sure how to clear McAfee from my computer completely. I ran the MCPR and it reaches 100% but then a message pops up saying:

"McAfee Enterprise software detected.
Cannot continue. Please contact McAfee Technical Support."

I understand that MCPR is incompatible with Enterprise, so how do I get rid of Enterprise?

I've run a search of my computer but there's nothing.
How do I find out which version I have installed?

I'm not sure if this error has any connection with the one I get when I start up my computer, but if not, then I'll be fine with it. It's the "1 unhandled error occurred" error that is getting to be a nuisance.

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit with 2Gb RAM, NTFS file system.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Amaranth
Level 7

RE: Error on start up "1 unhandled error occurred..."

Hm, am I posting in the right thread?
0 Kudos
dafallob73
Level 7

Error on start up "1 unhandled error occurred "

I tried to put my first remote video on today and I get this error each time i try?

500 - An error has occurred.
View not found name, type, prefix: jomtube,html,jomtubeView
0 Kudos
Amaranth
Level 7

RE: Error on start up "1 unhandled error occurred "

Thanks for the links rmetzger, but I tried them and I still receive the same error message on start up.
0 Kudos
rmetzger
Level 14

Not AV, then maybe Firewall

Sorry that was not enough. I focused on the AV side of the house. Assuming that you followed the directions and removed all AV related registry entries and files without errors (messages and such), then let's focus on the firewall side of the house.

How to manually uninstall Host Intrusion Prevention Agent 7.0

How to manually remove Host Intrusion Prevention 6.x

This of course, assumes the Enterprise versions of the firewall, HIPS.

The retail version, Desktop Firewall:
Manual removal instructions for McAfee Desktop Firewall 8.5
Note the instructions are for Windows XP and down. So you will need to substitute 'Programs' for 'Program Files' and 'Users' for 'Documents and Settings' throughout the instructions.

Once you remove the firewall protection, I would suggest minimally restoring the Microsoft firewall for limited protection.

Let us know if this helps.
Ron Metzger
0 Kudos
Amaranth
Level 7

RE: Not AV, then maybe Firewall

Thank you so much. It was "Manual removal instructions for McAfee Desktop Firewall 8.5" that worked for me. I just disabled the firewall at start up and that was it, haha, I feel like a fool. I think I'll go through the rest to remove it completely though now that I've started. Thanks again for helping!
0 Kudos
rmetzger
Level 14

Great, Good Job.

Your welcome, Glad to help.

Good luck,
Ron Metzger
0 Kudos