cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saxesrule
Level 7

Difficulty Installing HIPS 7.0 on Solaris 10

Hi there, I'm having some trouble deploying HIPS 7.0 to clients running Solaris 10.

I run an ePO 4.0 server and I am pretty sure I have correctly checked in the extensions as well as the McAfee Agents for Windows, Solaris and Linux (I say I think I have done it correctly because I can install the CMA onto my computers and have them talk to the ePO server). Per McAfee's instructions, I manually installed the CMA on the Solaris 10 workstations by copying the install.sh file from the ePO server and running it locally on the Solaris 10 workstations.

I checked in the HIPS 7.0 package and was able to deploy it to my Windows 2003 server without a hitch. When I tried to deploy HIPS 7.0 to my Solaris 10 workstations, as far as I could tell from ePO, nothing happened. There were no "Failed" entries in the Server log or any other indication that the install had failed.

I browsed to "http://<IP>:<port>" for the client-server communication and was able to view the CMA log on the Solaris 10 workstation and the only clue I got was that there were a few lines confirming that the deployment of the HIPS agent had failed. The log didn't say why the deployment task failed and that's where I'm hoping I can get some help.

On a positive note, if I manually install the HIPS 7.0 agent on the Solaris 10 workstation it works just fine so I know that the software works, I just can't deploy it from ePO like I should be able to.

Any help that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Firewall-Joe
Level 9

RE: Difficulty Installing HIPS 7.0 on Solaris 10

What version of CMA are you using?

Joe
0 Kudos
Saxesrule
Level 7

Here are my software versions:
ePO 4.0 with Patch 1
McAfee Agent for Windows (CMA) : 4.0
McAfee Agent for Solaris (CMA) : 3.7
McAfee Agent for Linux (CMA) : 3.7
Host Intrusion Prevention 7.0
0 Kudos
Firewall-Joe
Level 9

You should be using HIP 7.0 patch 2. The Solaris agent was updated.
0 Kudos
Saxesrule
Level 7

I looked at my versions again and found that I am already using HIPS 7.0 with Patch 2.

Here's the file name for my HIPS package just to confirm that I'm using the correct one.
McAfeeHIP_Client_700_with_P2S_LEN.Zip

I'm pretty sure it is a CMA/ePO issue based on what I've seen in the Solaris 10 Workstation's logs. How about this, could there be an issue caused by this factor: the root account is not allowed to log in remotely on our boxes. In order to perform any root activities on a box, I have to log in remotely (using ssh) as a regular user and then "su" to change to root. Does CMA/ePO perform remote actions as root? Could that affect why CMA/ePO can't install HIPS?

Thanks,
-Ryan
0 Kudos
Firewall-Joe
Level 9

When you installed CMA, did you "su to root" before installing? I would assume you did but if CMA isn't running as root, then it won't have the proper access to install anything that's sent down. I've ran into this before but I can't remember what I did to resolve it.
0 Kudos
Saxesrule
Level 7

When I installed the CMA I had to su to root. I also had to su to root when I manually installed the HIPS package.
0 Kudos