cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gene0915
Level 9

Can't reach internet after HIPS 7 patch 2 install

At my company, we're seeing more and more people having the odd problem of not being able to get on the internet after getting HIPS 7 patch 2 pushed to them. Like out of 2,000 people with HIPS, about 10-15 people have this problem. The odd thing is that if they launch IE or FireFox and go to www.google.com and do a search, they get a results page. If they click on ANY of those results, "Page can't be displayed". Going to www.gmail.com works fine. They can get new emails, send emails, etc. Makes no sense. Google.com always seems to work, all other pages fail.

Anyone else seeing ANYTHING like this?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Raja
Level 9

RE: Can't reach internet after HIPS 7 patch 2 install

The only issue I've seen is the firewall driver fails to load. When that happens the computer has no network access. It's possible you have a corrupted policy. Have you tried KB 614122?
0 Kudos
gene0915
Level 9

I forgot to mention something.... these PCs that can't reach the internet, they have no problem launching our VPN client and making a good connection to us. Does that strike you as odd or could it still be a corrupt policy? I though using CMA 3.6.0.608 addressed the corrupt policy problem, which is the version these PCs have.
0 Kudos
gnatwest
Level 7

Im getting this

Event: McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention
IP Address/User: ADT\user
Description: Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe)
Path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Firefox can browse the web but IE sets off the above alert when attempting to browse a site.

This is with HIPS 7.0.0.833
0 Kudos
Raja
Level 9

That signature is prone to false positives.
0 Kudos