cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hbss_admin
Level 9

Can't get in to HIPS policy to add exceptions - "An unexpected error occurred"

I need to add an exception to a HIPS IPS rules policy but when I try to get into the policy I keep getting "An unexpected error occurred" error messages. I tried rebooting the SQL server and the ePO front end, but still no go.

It's ePO 4.5 patch 3, HIPS 7. I have a month old backup of the policy, but have done quite a lot of changes since then, and don't want to lose them all.

What can I do to get back in the policy?

PG

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hbss_admin
Level 9

Re: Can't get in to HIPS policy to add exceptions - "An unexpected error occurred"

Here's some additional info that might be relevant.

I was connecting to the ePO server via a VPN the other night and kept getting my network connection cut off. If I was in the middle of an edit and that happened could that have corrupted the policy file?

0 Kudos
hbss_admin
Level 9

Re: Can't get in to HIPS policy to add exceptions - "An unexpected error occurred"

(Going through my old messages.)

I never did get into this policy to correct it; had to use the month old backup and re-do all of the work that had been done in the previous month. Made me more careful about making periodic policy backups though.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Just FYI: ePO (4.5 and higher I think) has a Server task action called "Export policies" that you can use to help automate policy backups.

If you ever get this error again, look in the ePO server's orion.log file for details about these errors (possibly enable debug logging for McAfee Support, as needed).

0 Kudos