cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can We block Mass Storage Devices Using HIPS in EPO 4.5 ??

Can We block Mass Storage Devices Using HIPS in EPO 4.5 ??

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bgable
Level 11

Re: Can We block Mass Storage Devices Using HIPS in EPO 4.5 ??

HIP 8.0 will have this functionality and is scheduled to release in late Q4 2010.

If you are running a locked down COE image, it should also possible to create a custom signature in HIP 7.0.

You need to be on a standard image though as you would need to specify a drive letter etc. in the custom signature.

0 Kudos
kenobe
Level 10

Why not use DLP to block mass storage?

v/r

Ken

0 Kudos
rc-uk
Level 7

I have used a combination of HIPS signature (to block access to USB Mass Storage) and VSE Access Protection rules (to block access to all drives other than C: - this prevents access to CD, DVD, floppy etc) to protect my devices.

Admittedly this doesn't cover all scenarios - e.g. bluetooth, wireless, firewire etc but it is a good starting point.

I agree with Ken that the best way to prevent all storage devices is via use of DLP.

Russ

0 Kudos
suhayl
Level 7

Russ!

could you please elaborate how did you achieve -  HIPS signature (to block access to USB Mass Storage) and VSE Access Protection rules (to block access to all drives other than C:

0 Kudos
toddunger
Level 7

IPS Signature 1157:  USB Storage Device Inserted.  Set to Prevent.  However, make sure to read the Description tab for the caveat.

0 Kudos