Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
uri
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Blocked addresses (URL, IP) policies do not show on the events log

I'm writing 2 kinds of policies - HIPS:: firewall and HIPS:: IPS.
The IPS policies contain some registries and files addresses, that will pop an event on file/registry change/activation. The line for adding new file/registry to monitor look like this

<Setting name="+SigRule#9" value="Rule { tag "SigRule#9" Class Files Id 4000 level 4 files { Include "C:\\Windows\\system32\\cmd.exe" } directives files:read files:rename files:create files:attribute files:delete files:write } "/>

(this line tells the policy to monitor the cmd.exe file, and when someone will open cmd.exe, an event will pop in the EPO events, this part is work just fine!)

But on the other hand, the firewall policies contain URL or IP, and I want to monitor those addresses.
Let say the policy contains 'www.google.com', I want an event to pop in the EPO events when someone on the network connects google.com or ping it, the event won't pop.
The line in the policy - <Setting name="+BlockedDomains#0" value="www.google.com"/>

I've already changed the event filtering to filter 'All events to the server', but it didn't work and the event still doesn't pop on address event.

I'd love to hear some ideas on the subject if anyone have them,
thank you all,
Uriel.

1 Reply
Highlighted
McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Blocked addresses (URL, IP) policies do not show on the events log

Hi @uri  Host IPS 8.0 does not generate ePO events for HIPS Firewall (including DNS Blocking rules), except in the case where TREAT AS INTRUSION is set on a Firewall rule (but this is a Network IPS event, not Firewall).

ENS Firewall has the ability to mark Firewall rules and generate ePO events using the LOG MATCHING TRAFFIC option for a rule.  DNS Blocking rules will report ePO events as Event ID 35002 (Traffic blocked by Firewall).  Please be aware of the known Firewall logging issue though.

KB90177 - Enabling Endpoint Security Firewall 'Treat match as intrusion', or 'Log matching traffic' logging options, might cause high CPU usage

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community