cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jridgway
Level 7

Any known issues between Veritas and HBSS HIPS 7?

We run the Veritas Netback 6.5.5 client on servers with HIPS 7 patch 7 installed.  The Veritas backup will hang and at the same time The Framesvc will stop communicating (can't stop it) and communications with ePO stop.  Also McAfeefire GUI will not load,  Cannot log off the server (get "can't end Firetray error popup") and Server won't reboot (have to hard boot) as processes appear hung. Once rebooted the issue is resolved until  next time.

This happens a lot but not all the time. When it does it is exactly when the Veritas Netbackup is running. We see it  on Domain Controllers and File Servers (user data/profiles/etc.). Server 2003 SP2.   First started noticing this with HIPS Patch 6.

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ajacobs
Level 12

Re: Any known issues between Veritas and HBSS HIPS 7?

Moved to our HIPs area for better attention.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

There was an old issue that was fixed back in Patch 2, but nothing recent.  I would test disabling each HIPS module to isolate where the problem is and see if it can be correct with a configuration change (any IPS signature violations?  Any blocked network traffic from the Firewall?  Any blocked applications in Application Blocking?).

KB54960 - Isolating a suspect component in Host IPS

0 Kudos
jridgway
Level 7

Unfortunately, looking for signature matches was the first thing.  No  matches, no activity log notices and nothing reported to ePO in IPS events reporting. Application Blocking and Firewall are off.  This is one of those things where there is absolutely nothing in the log except (I think the firesvc.log --- I'm home right now so can't check) you see the last HIPS entry and nothing more after Veritas runs.

HIPS install on the VERITAS Server (where the Veritas policies are) actually breaks Veritas there so Veritas services don't start. But that is another problem alogether.  

We see the issue with the netbackup of Veritas only on specific file servers and DCs out of about 60 servers total.  The issue described beginning with patch 2 --- sounds like the problem (I had researched that the other day)  but we are at patch 7 and didn't experience it until patch 6. I wonder if it was a complete fix???

thanks

0 Kudos
bgable
Level 11

None currently that I know of...

Try:

1)     Exclude the Veritas processe(s) from Host IPS Application Protection list.

2)     Otherwise, disable Host IPS svc and reboot, see if that works.

If not, call into support and ask to edit the Kevlar Hook List file for further troubleshooting.

0 Kudos