cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ransomware attacked PC

My PC was hit by a ransomware while downloading something. I actually ignored some warnings and lost all the data. They asked for a lot of bitcoins (Not a lot but with this current price of bitcoin its a huge amount.) So I decided to just format the PC and lost all of my data. I never want it to happen. But I can't stop downloading things from shady sites too. So I want to know if there is anything that can be done from the service provider's side. I use the business internet connection provided by a majot telecommunications company. So if there anything I can ask my service provider to do for better protection do tell me.

Message was edited by: Peace Keeper
Link removed not necessary

2 Replies
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Ransomware attacked PC

Some thoughts and moved to a more appropriate forum

I as a user follow this method not traveling on suspect sites though I have got a popup or 3 warning you are infected blah blah. Do not click on anything but shut the PC down immediately as the X can be taken as a yes.

Reboot into safe mode with networking and scan with several scanners

Normally this would stop you getting infected but if you do get infected I do weekly backups to another drive and copy these backups monthly to an external drive that is only connected and turned on during copying so I would lose 1 mth max. You can backup to the drive every 2 days but the drive should be disconnected as the malware can I assume encrypt the external drive as well.

McAfee Employee moekhass
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: Ransomware attacked PC

Raymond, sorry for your loss. In addition to being cautious while browsing the web, make it a habit copying your valuable data once/month to an external drive. By doing such, you are protecting your data from future attack and also from possible computer hardware failure.

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.