Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 13

Re: McAfee WebAdvisor/SiteAdvisor is flagging microsoft(dot)com as malicious

It could basically be an anomaly. Hence is why I have contacted a Senior level engineer from Support, who works closely with the Web Advisor team. Any other comments would basically be speculation. It being Christmas eve and the Holidays, hopefully we will hear something back eventually.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 13

I can't say why some of the Microsoft results are coming back Red without doing a lot of investigating, and I can't do that because for whatever reason I'm not getting a connection to the California servers so I'm not seeing real-time safety ratings. Forcing an individual safety test on a subdomain-by-subdomain basis would take an awful long time, and as it's now early Christmas morning here I'm not going to do that.

There are several possible reasons why you're seeing these results and only one of them should really concern you, namely that someone has hacked into Microsoft. I think that's unlikely and even if it happened the Microsoft security teams would be on to it fast, holiday or not.

Best for the moment to treat it, as CatDaddy has said, as an anomalous result, and wait for the McAfee contact to come back with an interim report. Although, of course, it's holiday time so there might not be a response for a day or two. Or three.

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 13

Contact is re-established, and from the UK all of Microsoft is showing Green.

If you have Chrome there is an alternative (and also McAfee-approved) site-checker, although only in Chrome as far as I know. I sometimes use it in Chrome when the WebAdvisor links aren't working.

See

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.