Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joltliz
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

McAfee WebAdvisor/SiteAdvisor is flagging microsoft(dot)com as malicious

I was trying to access Microsoft's website to get the Instagram app, but McAfee WebAvisor is flagging it as malicious. I accessed the site by clicking "get it from Microsoft" when Instagram recommended I download the app. I thought that maybe that could have been some malicious ad, and tried to go to Microsoft's site by typing it into Google and was met with many red "X's" telling me the sites had malware.

I have supplied screenshots.

Screenshot (6).png

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (9).png

I am a little confused... are these sites actually malicious, or are they false positives? I typed the URL into VirusTotal and it came up as safe. Can someone explain what happened and if there is something wrong with the site?

12 Replies
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: McAfee WebAdvisor/SiteAdvisor is flagging microsoft(dot)com as malicious

Strange I got all green

Maybe post the full path link that is shown as red and the site report.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 13

It's telling me SOME Microsoft sites are (possibly) dangerous, which of course should not be the case unless they are via 3rd party websites.

In Webavisor Options have you got it set to work in all search engines or is Secure Search switched on (i.e. Yahoo search is default)??

I think they are merely cautionary as when I go to their site report it's green...this is an anomaly, however, and should be questioned.

Capture.JPG

Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 13

I attempted to access the ones rated as Dangerous, and it was blocked. I sent a note to Doug and Mark.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Strange! Thanks CD.

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Yes I see that as well

joltliz
Level 7
Message 7 of 13

Sorry for the late response!

No, I'm not using Secure Search and use the regular Google search. This is quite odd...

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 13

joltliz wrote:

Sorry for the late response!

No, I'm not using Secure Search and use the regular Google search. This is quite odd...

Very odd.  CD and Peavekeeper will follow up eith support I am sure.

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Trying to test this, and WebAdvisor is driving me up the wall. For some reason it's not displaying safety ratings in Google search results in either Firefox or Chrome. I can get a site report for Microsoft, which is of course Green.

This is reminiscent of the Great Investigation a few years back when SiteAdvisor suddenly blacklisted a whole series of Microsoft servers in Montreal, and the SA team confirmed the blacklisting was justified. I put on my paranoia hat for that one, and came up with a hypothesis that involved Five Eyes and plausible deniability. Perhaps we're seeing something similar here

So are the blacklisted sites dangerous to visit? If so, would you mind explaining further (why are they dangerous?) I would like to learn as much as I can about stuff like this as I am considering becoming a malware analyst (and I am really paranoid.)

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.