cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

error 1920: service McAfeeFramework failed to start. Verify

Hello, I have posted this request on this forum before, but have not had much luck (Please see the string of messages sent to me from September last year (http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?)

I am unable to get McAfee to update. Get the error Framework Services Failed to start. Verify that you have enough priveleges, etc etc. Someone suggested renaming the logon account for the Framework services. Well, I cannot find such a service to start with, so cannot check what account it is using to logon with!

Any other advie would be appreciated.
20 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 21

RE: error 1920: service McAfeeFramework failed to start. Verify

Highlighted

Invalid Link ? :confused:
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 4 of 21

Have had this issue before aswell.

The KB number was 616959 but it seems they have removed the solution again and replaced it with "contact McAfee support"

For the benefit of helping others, this was the solution I received from Tier III:

"ID:616959 - Error installing VSE8.7i: Error 1920.Service McAfee McShield
(McShield) failed to start.
Following investigation by TierIII and Engineering, this issue has been isolated to systems with Dynamic disk.
When McShield (VSE On-Access Scanner) is starting, at the point when loading content drivers, MFEVTPS.exe will validate the location for the content drivers. It does so by building a path to the file using Object Manager references, and eventually appending the System32\Drivers\<drivername>. On dynamic disks this fails, building an incorrect path to the drivers. Consequently it fails McShield's attempt to load the drivers and result in Error 1920.Service McAfee McShield
(McShield) failed to start.

A workaround has been tested to resolve this issue. Please follow the steps below:

1) Install VSE 8.7i locally
2) When the 1920 error dialog occurs:
- run REGEDIT
- Navigate to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\[mfebopk, mfeapfk, mfeavfk]
- Modify the ImagePath to be the full path to the driver.
e.g. Instead of "system32\drivers\mfebopk.sys" change it to "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mfebopk.sys"

A fix for this issue will be included in the repost of VSE 8.7i with Patch 1."

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 5 of 21

Re: RE: error 1920: service McAfeeFramework failed to start. Verify

Still same problem,.........During the installation of McAfee 8.7i, while running the services it shows the error message of 1920 Framework service doest not run.

Highlighted

Re: RE: error 1920: service McAfeeFramework failed to start. Verify

We noticed the Framework service failed to start error today on one of our clients.

We ended up removing and reinstalling McAfee on the computer and the user will get back to me to see if this issue resurfaces.

Highlighted

Unable to install or modify or repair McFee 8.5i

Hello, I have posted this request on this forum before, but have not had much luck (Please see the string of messages sent to me from September last year (http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?)

I am unable to get McAfee to update. Get the error Framework Services Failed to start. Verify that you have enough priveleges, etc etc.
Highlighted

Re: error 1920: service McAfeeFramework failed to start. Verify

Are you guys using EPO?????

Did you also try to

start run in C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Common Framework\frmInst.exe /forceuninstall then try to reinstall the framework again from EPO....

Message was edited by: jkaminsky on 5/19/10 10:00:09 AM CDT
Highlighted

Hi Everyone

If the above mentioned steps don't work like in my case I will explain how I fixed this issue. The steps explaining to change the following 3 Registry keys in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ didn't help since one of the keys in the registry was missing and you need to change all 3 in order to work. Also you might encouter that not all 3 files are located in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers directory.

• system32\drivers\mfeapfk.sys (Was in Registry)
  • system32\drivers\mfeavfk.sys (Was in Registry)
  • system32\drivers\mfebopk.sys (Was NOT in Registry)

Files that need to be in: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

• mfeapfk.sys (Was in DIR)
  • mfeavfk.sys (Was in DIR)
  • mfebopk.sys (Was NOT in DIR)

We are running alot of Servers with McAfee VSE 8.7i on ePO so I went to a Server which was working fine and Exported the 3 registry keys and copied the 3 files from the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers directory. I then Copied these 6 files to the new Server I wanted to install McAfee VSE 8.7i on and PASTED them on the Desktop. I then Copied and Replaced the mfeapfk.sys, mfeavfk.sys , mfebopk.sys in the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers directory. Then I double clicked on the following 3 keys to write them to the registry: mfeapfk.reg, mfeavfk.reg , mfebopk.reg.

I then started the installation again and like magic it went throught without any Problems. If this website allows it, I will add the 3 registry keys and the 3 system files in this post! Hope this post help a lot of poeple who were struggeling like me

Regards Johan Marais

T-Systems South Africa

on 8/6/10 4:27:33 AM CDT

on 8/6/10 9:19:56 AM CDT
Highlighted
Level 12
Message 10 of 21

Hi Johan Marais, i copied 3 files and run 3 registry. Everything in reg files is import ok except ImagePath can not edit to full path and install still fail . Any ideas? Thanks!

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community