cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jburke
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

Would be blocked by Access Protection rule (rule is currently not enforced)

I'm running EPO 4 with Antivirus 8.7 on the desktops and servers. I keep getting large log files on each computer that comes up with Would be blocked by Access Protection rule (rule is currently not enforced) for different features (obviously things we don't block). I want to turn this off so my log files and DBs don't keep getting out of control with these messages. Can somebody tell me how to do this? I'm not really concerned with things that "would be blocked".

thanks
6 Replies

RE: Would be blocked by Access Protection rule (rule is currently not enforced)

Go into your access protection rules and disable monitoring of the rules in question. There are 2 check boxes...block and report. When set to block & report, you'll see the log entry but it will say "blocked by access protection rule...". When only report is set, you'll see "would be blocked...". If you uncheck both, you won't get the logging. If you just block and don't report, you'll get the blocking without reporting (bad idea)
jburke
Level 7
Message 3 of 7

I thought that was the problem however, I went in and checked the rule in question and it had no check boxes enabled already. Both were blank
Grif
Level 10
Message 4 of 7

Are you sure? Our most common "reported" item is found by opening the VirusScan Console, then the "Access Protection" listing, then click on the "Common Standard Protection" listing and UNCHECK the line that says: "Prevent common programs from running files from the "Temp" folder". But remember, you'll need to change all computers on the network by adjusting the settings in EPO. If a single computer is changed, EPO will simply change it back and the log entries will begin again.

Hope this helps.

Grif
jburke
Level 7
Message 5 of 7

Positive. I went in there, checked the line that was showing up in the logs and both boxes were unchecked. So just as a test, I checked them both and saved it. Then went back in and unchecked them both and saved it. Sure enough this morning when I got to work I had a bunch of entries in there for items that have nothing in either check box.
Grif
Level 10
Message 6 of 7

Well then, I'm stumped.. As long as the EPO isn't renewing the settings to log such occurances, then they shouldn't be logged.

Grif

Have you tried remove/reinstall on a machine to test?
Something seems wonky with the install if it is logging when monitor is not checked...
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community