Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

Windows XP Pro SP3 Support?

Are there any McAfee Antivirus products that support Windows XP Pro SP3?

We have some legacy systems that cannot be upgraded to a newer OS.

Thanks,

Ray

2 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: Windows XP Pro SP3 Support?

Hi Rayj00,

Rayj00 wrote:

Are there any McAfee Antivirus products that support Windows XP Pro SP3?

See: McAfee KnowledgeBase - Supported platforms, environments, and operating systems for VirusScan Enterp...

McAfee KnowledgeBase - Supported platforms, environments, and operating systems for VirusScan Enterp... wrote:

Workstation operating systems

NOTE: Where applicable, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are implied. Exceptions are noted explicitly.

IMP
ORTANT:
Unless otherwise stated, all specific Windows Workstation editions are fully supported. Any exceptions, such as support for Windows Embedded, are called out where necessary and may also be covered by a footnote. Examples of Workstation editions covered by this are: Basic, Business, Enterprise, Home, Professional, and Ultimate.

Operating SystemMinimum Supported
Service Pack (SP)
VSE 8.8
Patch 6
VSE 8.8
Patch 4, 5
VSE 8.8
Patch 3
VSE 8.8
Patch 2
VSE 8.8
Patch 1

VSE 8.7i
Patch 5

Windows XP 83YesYesNo 6YesYesYes
Windows XP Professional for Embedded Systems (32-bit) 8, 12
-YesYesNo 6Yes 4No 4No 4
Windows XP Tablet PC edition2YesYesNo 6YesYesYes
Windows Embedded for Point of Service (WEPOS)-YesYesNoYesYes 3Yes 3

1 McAfee Agent (MA) 4.0, which is now End of Life (EOL), was the only version to support McAfee products on Windows 2000 Server. For MA supported environment details, see KB51573.
2 Patch 2 was not fully certified by Intel Security, but is compatible with Windows 8. Full support for Windows 8 is provided in the VSE 8.8 Patch 3 release. For support details about Patch 2 and 3, see KB74593.
3There are two known issues to be aware of with WEPOS:

• Issue 1: On systems where the XP firewall is on by default or has been turned on through other means, VSE is unable to install. You have to disable the XP firewall before you install VSE and then re-enable it afterwards.

• Issue 2: The ScriptScan function in VSE fails to scan scripts that reside on the desktop. It scans scripts properly when they are downloaded via Internet Explorer, in addition to scripts located anywhere else on your system.

4For Windows Embedded to be supported (minimum requirements), refer to KB60902. Thin clients and Enhanced Write Filtering (EWF) or File Based Web Filtering (FBWF) technology is not supported. Embedded operating systems are the same as their standard counterparts, except for licensing.
5 Microsoft Windows 7 is supported from VSE 8.7i Patch 2 and later. For details, see KB60468.
6VSE 8.8 Patch 3 has been released to provide support only for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 operating systems. Patch 4 returns to being a single patch for use on all supported operating systems for VSE 8.8.
7The following applies to Windows 2000 Professional: Effective Dec 31, 2014, EOL for Win2000 platform in Engine/DATs. End of all VSE custom support on Win2000.
8As of the end of 2015, Intel Security no longer supports VSE on Windows XP SP3. See KB78434.
9Windows 8.1 requires McAfee Agent 4.8.2 to be supported. Therefore, install MA 4.8.2 or later at your earliest convenience, as documented in KB51573.
VSE 8.8 requires Patch 6 to support Windows 10 and Windows 10 Threshold 2 (Win10 TH2). Patch 6 does not support the Secure/UEFI feature of the TH2 release.
If an issue is reproduced on an embedded system, it must also be reproducible on a non-embedded operating system for Technical Support to investigate

Note Notes 3, 4, 6, 8, and non-existent 12 (lol) (probably meant 11).

So, based on Note 8, 32-Bit Windows XP Pro SP3 is No Longer Supported by VSE v8.8. Since Microsoft no longer supports XP, any Security Updates that the OS needs from Microsoft will not be applied. So, Intel Security cannot support that if OS security hotfixes are needed.

Note 4 states that Windows Embedded is still supported (WEPOS, with versions based on WinXP) and VSE v8.8 still runs on that platform. So, if you are licensed for Windows Embedded, VSE v8.8 is supported as long as the systems meet the minimum requirements listed in McAfee KnowledgeBase - VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 support for Windows Embedded.

Note 11 states that Technical Support for VSE on Embedded Systems is only available if the problem is reproducible on the non-supported non-embedded system.

Bottom line: Upgrade the Windows XP systems as soon as possible as Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft for 2 years now, and further/future Security updates are not supplied, tested, or supported. This leaves these systems exposed to malware outside the control of any Anti-Virus program, risking your network and data. The security risk and potential data loss will have potential expensive recovery costs. This could be used as a good business case for upgrading these legacy systems.

Good luck,

Ron Metzger

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Windows XP Pro SP3 Support?

Hi Rayj00,

Follow-up on my original reply:

KB51111 McAfee KnowledgeBase - Supported platforms, environments, and operating systems for VirusScan Enterp...

No Longer shows Windows XP of any kind in it's 'Supported Platforms' and operating systems for VSE.

Just another reason to consider Upgrading any Windows XP systems to Windows 7 or better.

I too have a client with 'Legacy Systems' still running WinXP, but I am trying to update or upgrade (via replacement) to newer OS' as soon as possible. Luckily, I have the list down to a few systems.

What issues are you having?

Is there any other software that simply refuses to run on Win7?

Can I help in the transition?

Thanks,

Ron Metzger

Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community