Did you mean: 
Highlighted
erebus
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Upgrade drive encryption to 7.2.2.

Jump to solution

I spoke with McAfee support about a patching issue today and found out that I can't patch through product deployment; patching has to be done through a policy.  That's fine, except now when I make a policy to try to patch our drive encryption to 7.2.2 there's no option to choose the version.  If I try to update the drive encryption through Product Deployment it just sits at 0% which is the same thing the other patch for the McAfee Agent was doing.

So...is there no way to patch the drive encryption?  Do we literally have to unencrypt every drive then encrypt them with 7.2.2?  That seems like a poor option but with the information I've been given so far I don't see another solution.

Message was edited by: Josh Hofland

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erebus
Level 9
Message 3 of 4

Re: Upgrade drive encryption to 7.2.2.

Jump to solution

I've been playing around with this a lot and I've successfully upgraded the drive encryption from 7.2.1 to 7.2.2 then upgraded Windows 1709.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but from the compatibility list here: McAfee Corporate KB - Support for Windows 10 client with McAfee encryption products KB84419  I think what they're saying is you should have _at least_ drive encryption 7.2.1 to run Windows 1703 and drive encryption 7.2.2 to run Windows 1709. 

As far as a step by step guide, I've read through their documentation and talked to their support multiple times and they don't have anything like that for any of their products.  I'm using their ePO so it may be different for you if you're not, but here is a suggestion assuming you've already checked in 7.2.2.  If you haven't checked it in yet, you'll need to do that first.

1. Go to the System Tree

2. Go to the sub-group that has the computers you want to update

3. Click on the Assigned Client Tasks tab

4. Click New Client Task Assignment at the bottom of the screen

5. In the Task Actions row click Create New Task

6. Name the task and give it a description so if someone else looks at this they'll know what it's for

7. Just leave the Windows box checked

8. There are three 7.2.2 updates to install, each one will have it's own drop down

a. McAfee Drive Encryption Agent for Windows 7.2.2.14

b. McAfee Drive Encryption for Windows 7.2.2.14

c. McAfee Drive Encryption Go 7.2.2.14

9. Click Save

10. In the Task to Schedule row at the top click McAfee Agent>>Product Deployment>>*Whatever you named the task*

11. This will update the drive encryption on all computers in the sub-group.  If you just want it to go to specific computers you can also use tags.

12. This will _force_ a reboot when it upgrades and end users can't cancel the reboot.  So make sure they're aware of this before the upgrade.

On a final note, their support telling me I had to create a policy to do this was wrong.  I think their support honestly tries to help, but they need more training.

3 Replies

Jump to solution

I have the same question,

here is my situation : I have 10 computer already encrypted with DE 7.2.1 , all these machines have windows 10 pro 1703 , since DE 7.2.2 is only compatible with Windows 10 1709 i don't know what to do first ,

Upgrade my  machines with windows 10 1703 to 1709 while they are encrypted with DE 7.2.1 then upgrade from 7.2.1 to 7.2.2, or install DE 7.2.2 then upgrade from 1703 TO 1709, or decrypt the computers then upgrade them to 1709 then encrypt with 7.2.2

if some one can help with this because Microsoft support for 1703 will end on march 2018 , if someone can give us a step by step guide plz**

Thank you in advance.

erebus
Level 9
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

I've been playing around with this a lot and I've successfully upgraded the drive encryption from 7.2.1 to 7.2.2 then upgraded Windows 1709.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but from the compatibility list here: McAfee Corporate KB - Support for Windows 10 client with McAfee encryption products KB84419  I think what they're saying is you should have _at least_ drive encryption 7.2.1 to run Windows 1703 and drive encryption 7.2.2 to run Windows 1709. 

As far as a step by step guide, I've read through their documentation and talked to their support multiple times and they don't have anything like that for any of their products.  I'm using their ePO so it may be different for you if you're not, but here is a suggestion assuming you've already checked in 7.2.2.  If you haven't checked it in yet, you'll need to do that first.

1. Go to the System Tree

2. Go to the sub-group that has the computers you want to update

3. Click on the Assigned Client Tasks tab

4. Click New Client Task Assignment at the bottom of the screen

5. In the Task Actions row click Create New Task

6. Name the task and give it a description so if someone else looks at this they'll know what it's for

7. Just leave the Windows box checked

8. There are three 7.2.2 updates to install, each one will have it's own drop down

a. McAfee Drive Encryption Agent for Windows 7.2.2.14

b. McAfee Drive Encryption for Windows 7.2.2.14

c. McAfee Drive Encryption Go 7.2.2.14

9. Click Save

10. In the Task to Schedule row at the top click McAfee Agent>>Product Deployment>>*Whatever you named the task*

11. This will update the drive encryption on all computers in the sub-group.  If you just want it to go to specific computers you can also use tags.

12. This will _force_ a reboot when it upgrades and end users can't cancel the reboot.  So make sure they're aware of this before the upgrade.

On a final note, their support telling me I had to create a policy to do this was wrong.  I think their support honestly tries to help, but they need more training.

Jump to solution

thx it worked

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community