cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Windows Failure

I am running Windows XP Professional, SP3. Through our corporate network we have McAfee security Suite. Following an unrelated software upgrade I am unable to re start my computer IN ANY MODE. In SAFE MODE the computer is hanging up on your file MFEHIDK.SYS and will not go any further. I am at the point where I see re-installing Windows as my only option. Is there a fix for this problem as I have several machines down, unable to communicate without this computer running.:(
5 Replies
tonyb99
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

RE: Total Windows Failure

are you running VSE or "Total Protection Service"

there are various 3rd party software installs that can kill you with this error

eg

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB54493&actp=search&searchid=1248357425627

or

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB53923&actp=search&searchid=1248357425627

or installing vse where Total Protection Service has been or vice versa aswell I think

Ive actually had this with vse 8.5 and daemon tools when vse was at patch 1 with 5100 engine a long while back but this was bootable in safe mode to remove daemon tools

I believe we are running VSE but I cannot use any of the "fixes" since I cannot get to the Windows desktop. Windows hangs during the initial start-up and will not boot, even in SAFE MODE. Am I cooked?:)
tonyb99
Level 13
Message 4 of 6

yes, if its non bootable in safe mode then you are stuffed. you can run a system files repair from CD but this will not get you back a fully working system.

I would just slave the drive and pull off any data then rebuild/reimage.

What though was the software you installed and what AV version/patch/engine and dat were you using so this does not happen again?... this is the more important issue if you have other machines of the same config. Rebuilds are easy, preventing them happening is more important.

I know you have tried safe mode and that did not work. Have you tried last known good? I have had cases in the past where safe mode would not work but last known good did.
Highlighted
Mogsy
Level 7
Message 6 of 6

as Tony said, either slave the drive to another XP box, and remove the files stopping the Safe Mode Boot, or use the recovery console and see if you can remove them from there. might take a few tries until you clear the files in question and then get into safe mode to disable the 3 McAfee services, which will hopefully allow a normal build, and proper Installer service so rectify the issue.

i would do my best to understand how this happened, so it's not repeated on any other users system. you need to note the non-McAfee related software you updated, and driver or MS patches and what version of VSE (and patch) you are running.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community