cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems installing McAfee Agent 4.0.0

I have 100 computers running Windows XP that still have the 3.6.0 agent. The ePO server errored out while attempting to upgrade and I had to end up reinstalling from scratch. I have installed everything up to the latest version but now I run into errors when I try to push the agent out to the workstations.

I'm currently having 2 main errors pop up when I try to install McAfee Agent 4.0.0:

Failed to authenticate with remote system, system error: the network path was not found
Unknown HTTP response received from remote system

I believe this is related to the old agent installed on the computers, however 20 computers have automatically updated to the latest version. I have attempted to remove the agent with the below link (Yoda's instructions), but somehow the old agent stays after I reboot the remote system.

http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=135857

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Tags (3)
9 Replies
tonyb99
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

RE: Problems installing McAfee Agent 4.0.0

if you have the computer list already in epo 4, push install from the systems tree.

highlight systems
deploy agent button
choose the second 2 boxes of install options but not the first
ulyses31
Level 16
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 10

This usually happens when you have a problem with DNS resolution, if you make a ping to the name of the machine from your epo server do you receive an answer?

Everything appeared to be good on my end including the firewall on my server and the network. I tried everything under the sun except talk to the head of the firewall team. I spoke to him and we did some further troubleshooting. After much trial and error he noticed that the data appeared to be fine if he watched the ePO server traffic but when he watched the internal network traffic that nothing was getting through.

FIX ACTION:
He stated that the 445 Proxy was not functioning properly so he made an IP filter instead and the data was able to pass through.

Thanks for the responses!

Edit: Updated the post with what the Tech actually did to fix the issue

For our environment disabling the firewall on XP workstations worked. The agent gets pushed only if the firewall on the workstation is down.

However, our policy states that machines do need to have a local firewall running.....hence downing the firewall is really not acceptable.

I hope there is a workaround?

Just set up firewall exceptions for the ePO related management port that you've configured and possibly the framework service executable itself.

Jim

I hope that is do-able.....when I talked to tech support, the guy told me that this will not help. He said that the ePO uses the admin$ share to push the installs.

He said we should be able to browse to \\machine-name\admin$
Unless that works, we will not be able to push agents. Hence I am suspecting that just opening up fw's ports for 8081 - 8082 will not work.

Anyway, I am going to try

Sorry - he's right you do need sharing enabled - I was thinking on ongoing management of the agent 😮

Actually, sharing IS enabled....but XP's local firewall blocks incoming connections.

Maybe we can enable incoming for admin$ ?

solution found !

Ok I found a solution to this issue!

1. Just go into XP's firewall setting in control panel
  2. Check the checkbox for "File and Printer Sharing" under Programs and Services.
  3. Hit OK and you are all set!
  4. Now Agents get deployed successfully.

You can do the same remotely to all machines using group policy in an AD environment.

Sweet !
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community