Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zipsum
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

McShield.exe & vsktskmgr.exe eating up all CPU capacity

Hello Friends,

I am facing very common Mcafee problem (I have seen many users complaining about it in other blogs). I am running Dell Laptop with Windows XP SP2 1.73 GHz Pentium and 1 GB RAM. I am using Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 8.0.5i with latest DAT and Patch 7 installed.

My computer slowed down considerably after Mcafee automatically installed Patch 7. CPU utilization remains high all the time at 100% and it is observed that mcshield.exe and vsktskmgr.exe which are mcafee services eating up all the CPU utilization. Peak Virtual memory utilization is also very high for these services at 160MB each.

After going through Mcafee knowledge base, i disabled mcshield.exe, vsktskmgr.exe and FrameworkService.exe which has worked as workaround to drop the utilization back to normal. Now i my computer boots up in just 3 mins as 7-8 mins previously.

But this workaround has left me with disabled mcafee as the services are already disabled.

Could any one please explain me how to fix troublemaking mcshield.exe and vsktskmgr.exe enabling me to use Antivirus with good speed.

Thanks
Om Sharma
1 Reply
Highlighted
Mogsy
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

RE: McShield.exe & vsktskmgr.exe eating up all CPU capacity

try th hotfix i posted about here:

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/showthread.php?t=231402&page=3

This is designed to reduce the memory usage, it maybe related, you might want to consider installing Patch 8 too.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community