cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1920. When trying to install VirusScan Enterprice 7.0

When trying to install VirusScan Enterprice 7.0, I get the following message: Error 1920. Service McShield (McShield) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient priveleges to start system services.

I have Windows 2000 as the OS.

Please someone help me.

Jerry
4 Replies
RickF
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

RE: Error 1920. When trying to install VirusScan Enterprice 7.0

Hi Jerry,

I've moved your post to the "Corporate Network/Business General" forum as you're using VS-7 Enterprise.

See if this article will help:

Error 1920 McShield failed to Start...
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=18335&highlight=1920

Hope this helps.
Yoda
Level 9
Message 3 of 5

Grabbed from NAI:

You may have Group Policy Objects (GPO's) running in the environment where McShield is placed in the System Services policies, or you may be running in an Active Directory domain where Alert Manager has been published to the Object container.

Determining if GPO's are running in the environment where McShield is placed in the System Services policies

You can verify this by retrieving the computer and user policies. These can be obtained by following the below steps:
Go to Start | Run
Type MMC.
When the console appears go to "console" at the top of the window, choose from the drop down "Add/Remove Snap-in".
Choose "add".
Add the component piece "Group Policy"
A window will appear, choose "finish".
Choose "Ok"
Click the plus sign next to Computer Configuration.
Right click "Software Settings", choose export list, and save this as COMPUTER.TXT.
Repeat steps 8 and 9 for User configuration, but label the saved file as USER.TXT.
Search these files for "McShield". If found, this is the cause of the error and McShield needs to be removed from the Group Policy.

Determining if an Active Directory domain exists where Alert Manager is published to the Object container

To determine if AM is published to the Object container you can look at NAI21546: Locating Alert Manager in the Active Directory. This issue will persist after you move one server out of this domain into another or Alert Manager is moved from the Object container. To easily determine if this is the issue, you can rename ADSLOKUU.DLL to ADSLOKUU.OLD. If McShield starts without error then this was the cause of the error.
csvadr
Level 7
Message 4 of 5

Hi all,

had the same problem with the common framework service.
- Start regedit
- Look for
My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
McAfeeFrameworks
- Edit the ImagePath Entry by double-clicking it
- Put quotation marks (") at the beginning and end of the Path to FrameWorkServices.exe,
but dont enclose the /ServiceStart (!).

After that, the service was startable form Administrative Tools->Services.
Strange enough, this was only necessary on a single machine. The others
worked out-of-the-box after installation.
Ohhh, them ...*blockheads*...

Martin
Highlighted
dEcSup
Level 7
Message 5 of 5

I have encountered the same problem with VSE8.5i. it first would not update, when i tried to install patch for it, showed me Error 1920 framework service failed to start. Uninstall and reinstall facing the same problem.

At first i modified and deleted some registry keys according to some posts including this one, but no cure. Finally, i deleted all McAfee related keys in registry and reinstalled successfully.

Really a long process. i got a few PCs with this prob, until i'm able to figure out which key should be deleted, i have to delete all keys.. :eek:
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community