cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete Endpoint Protection Business - EPP or EDR

Jump to solution

Hello

We are using Complete Endpoint Protection Business in our Data Center Automation solution as the Anti-Virus product. The end-user is asking if the Anti-Virus used is an EPP (signature-based only) or EDR (behavioral-based + Signature-based). 

Can someone knowing this topic reply?

Thanks in advance

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

Re: Complete Endpoint Protection Business - EPP or EDR

Jump to solution

Hi @SingaSling,

Excellent work! Based on the screengrabs we can see that the product in use is VSE - Virus Scan Enterprise.  We would recommend upgrading to a newer version of our AV product which is ENS - Endpoint Security. VSE will soon reach end of life and hence this recommendation.

Reference: https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-in/products/virusscan-enterprise.html

Also our Whitepaper on ENS solution that is proposed here (which is already a part of your purchase/subscription!): https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/assets/white-papers/wp-understanding-ep-security-10-module.p...

Also, Please check out this White paper as well:

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/assets/white-papers/wp-understanding-ep-security-10-module.p...

I sincerely hope this helps.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @SingaSling,

Both ur whitepapers link to the same document though

My apologies, should have reviewed them carefully.

That said the core question was whether the antivirus software is an EPP (signature-based only) or EDR (behavourial-based + Signature based) - so in this context can we say that new McAfee Endpoint Security is EDR based while the older VSE was EPP based?

So ENS is a separate product while EDR is a separate product we have!

Reference: https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-in/security-awareness/endpoint/what-is-endpoint-detection-and-r...

ENS can leverage EDR product's use. EDR itself is less of a detection technology and more of a detection an response product that can be couple of with your standard AV solution like ENS that already offers great detection capabilities. EDR is more of a detection, monitoring and investigative tool for threat in an environment and can never replace an actual AV that is protecting your PC from malware.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

5 Replies
AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @SingaSling,

Thank you for your post.

EPP is probably referring to the name of the subscription/package you have purchased, however, the protection you are provided depends on the actual product you install on the PCs.

For Example, Endpoint Security is our primary Antivirus Software. Endpoint Security has several components and we are definitely not dependent on just signatures. While Signature based detection are an inevitable part of the product, we have several components that involves various detection technologies that include machine learning, Cloud based detections, Rule based detection, etc.. I would recommend confirming the actual product that is installed on your machines to know more about how you are protected!

I sincerely hope this helps!

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

Jump to solution

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-15 at 4.06.48 PM.jpegThe installation file used at siteThe installation file used at siteThis is the product which we placed the PO forThis is the product which we placed the PO forI took some pics from one of the servers where we installed McAfee, which might help to answer ur question. Please review and help to answer the question specific to our installed software

AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @SingaSling,

Excellent work! Based on the screengrabs we can see that the product in use is VSE - Virus Scan Enterprise.  We would recommend upgrading to a newer version of our AV product which is ENS - Endpoint Security. VSE will soon reach end of life and hence this recommendation.

Reference: https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-in/products/virusscan-enterprise.html

Also our Whitepaper on ENS solution that is proposed here (which is already a part of your purchase/subscription!): https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/assets/white-papers/wp-understanding-ep-security-10-module.p...

Also, Please check out this White paper as well:

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/assets/white-papers/wp-understanding-ep-security-10-module.p...

I sincerely hope this helps.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

Jump to solution

Thank you !!

Both ur whitepapers link to the same document though 🙂

That said the core question was whether the antivirus software is an EPP (signature-based only) or EDR (behavourial-based + Signature based) - so in this context can we say that new McAfee Endpoint Security is EDR based while the older VSE was EPP based?

AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi @SingaSling,

Both ur whitepapers link to the same document though

My apologies, should have reviewed them carefully.

So ENS is a separate product while EDR is a separate product we have!

Reference: https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-in/security-awareness/endpoint/what-is-endpoint-detection-and-r...

ENS can leverage EDR product's use. EDR itself is less of a detection technology and more of a detection an response product that can be couple of with your standard AV solution like ENS that already offers great detection capabilities. EDR is more of a detection, monitoring and investigative tool for threat in an environment and can never replace an actual AV that is protecting your PC from malware.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community