cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the AV update server.

I've been having some real trouble with this, and was wondering if anyone could help me out some. I'll try to include all the information that I can think of...

We're using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i on our network, and we're having some issues with trying to change the ePO server that each workstation updates to. We recently migrated from one domain to another, even though the old domain still remains in a separate section on campus. When we migrated, most of the updates were still handled by the first domain, however we're trying to change everything over to our own update server. Connectivity has been cut off to the original domain, so now each workstation that isn't hitting our new update server, simply isn't updating. When we click "Update Now" it still tries to connect to "ePO_Original*" and fails. I need to know if there is a way to go in and manually change the place that it looks for updates from "ePO_Original*" to the new "ePO_New*", or maybe even a way to modify an installation kit that would make it automatically update to the new "ePO_New*"? Any help is greatly appreciated!

We've been working on this for a few months now, and our deadlines are WAY past due, and the jobs are going to start rolling soon!:( I'm taking manual updates to each workstation, but due to time constraints and the sheer number of workstations, that isn't a possible long term solution.

*- For security reasons, I obviously had to change the names.. Who would name them original and new? :rolleyes: haha..
4 Replies
Grif
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

RE: Changing the AV update server.

Have you tried manually changing the repository listing on each machine? Open the VirusScan Console, then open the "Auto Update" line, then click on "Tools", then select "Edit Autupdate Respository List", then "delete" the old repository and "add" a new one. Or if the computers have an internet connection, you could always put a CHECK mark in the default ftp or http McAfee repositories

Hope this helps.

Grif
Highlighted
dEcSup
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 5

You can export sitelist under Software tab in ePO_New and save it to C: drive in client pc, then run below command in cmd:

C:\Program files\McAfee\Common Framework>frminst.exe /install=agent /siteinfo=c:\sitelist.xml

This can made the agent point to your ePO_New server manually. the updating process will be canceled for the first time, as i guess certain service has been restarted and an error shown if you click on update immediately after the first one is canceled. you have to wait for awhile before you run update and you will be able to update successfully for the second time. or you may let auto update to run too. 😄

Hope this helps.

Sorry about disappearing for a while there. Apparently I was mistakenly informed when told which ePO server was which... It would appear that they are directed at the correct server, but not allowing the update. Something is failing, I just have to figure out what that is. Grif, thanks much for the suggestion, that was exactly what I had been trying to do! dEcSup, I may try that yet. It depends on how much of a headache this thing continues to give me... sad

What's the output from the client agent log during the attempted update ?

My guess is that it's authentication related following your doman move. I'd suggest copying over the sitelist.xml from one of your working clients to replace the one on a failing client and restart the agent the rerun the update and see what happens.

Jim
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community