Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Turift
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Block installation of toolbars

Hello

I have a little question: How would one go about blocking browser toolbar installations like MSN/Google/Yahoo for powerusers/local admins on client computers? The users are local admins and should have installation rights on all things except these toolbars. The reason is that the toolbars somehow interferes with something.

One way would be to classify it as a PUP.
Parts or all of it should be covered in the protect IE settings in access protection, but thats only for IE. What about Firefox (and others)?

Another way would be to use HIPS and somehow block it. Not so up to date on HIPS at the moment. Could use learning mode to get signature perhaps.

This could of course be applied to other applications in the future.

Anyone using anything like this ?

Using epo 4, MA 4, HIPS 7, VSE 8.5i and 8.7i
3 Replies
Highlighted
Delta1
Level 7
Message 2 of 4

RE: Block installation of toolbars

We just list them (installers, and actuall toolbar dlls) as unwanted programs and have them deleted.
Turift
Level 7
Message 3 of 4

Yeah, think you're right. It requires some manual investigation and is not the most effective way as you can't cover all of the BHO's. But the ones that are legit as far as the antivirus is concerned is the ones that I want to remove, so there isn't so many mainstream to choose from.

Toolbars are just like any other piece of software. You could block all installations but then you would be able to use windows update.

I thought there was an IE GPO that would prevent usage of third party extensions.

Joe
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community