Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 7

8.0/8.5 enterprise BSOD issues??

Hello!

I have a user that has been experiencing occasional BSODs (approx. twice a week) for some time now. when i took over his "case" i had him enable crash dumps, and i have collected several of them to analyze.

as a preface, i am not experienced at using the windbg software or analyzing minidumps, but they seem to be pointing to mcafee system files as causes of the crashes. they either mention mfehidk.sys as the probable cause, or else ntfs.sys as the probable cause with scan32.exe as the process name. once i suspected mcafee might be invovled we updated him from 8.0 erp to 8.5, and the issue persisted.

i have read about issues with daemon tools and BSODs, but he does not have that application. can i post the minidumps, or does anyone have any suggestions?
6 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 7

RE: 8.0/8.5 enterprise BSOD issues??

Although its not recommended can you try removing both 8.0 and 8.5 and see if the problems persist without the AV installed.
tonyb99
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 7

You also didnt say what patch and hotfix level of vse 8.5 you were trying.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 7

i just had our primary notes server go down this morning with the same mfehidk.sys file reported in the dumpfiles.

VSE 8.5
Patch 5
Engine 5200
DAT 5310

AntiSpyware Module is installed as well.

Edit: this is a win2k3 server R2 enterprise SP2
tonyb99
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 7

If you dont have the known daemon tools issue then you are best off cranking up MERE tool and logging a case with corporate support
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 7

should have mentioned in my previous post that i have already submitted a service request. waiting to hear back from them, as i have the dumpfile/mer log ready to go.

if anything interesting comes out of it, i will post it to this thread.
tonyb99
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 7

that would tend to indicate it was an old version of the mfehidk.sys driver still installed then.

you would def want to remove VSE then check for old versions of

MfeAVFK.sys
MfeBOPK.sys
mfehidk.sys
MfeRKDK.sys
mfetdik.sys

and remove these bvefore reinstalling the latest VSE
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community