cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Windows Security" (in 1903) indicates McAfee ENS is OFF, when it's actually ON (TP - 10.6.1.1638)

I'm running Windows 10 (1903) and ENS 10.6.1 July Update (Threat Prevention version 10.6.1.1638) and Windows Security center indicates McAfee is off... therefore both Windows Antivirus AND ENS are running on all of my managed systems.  Is anyone else having this issue?

If so, is it Windows 10 (1903) related, or ENS 10.6.1.1638 related?

I also noticed that, per https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB91428, "Windows Security Center reports Endpoint Security is disabled when Endpoint Security is running" was "resolved in ENS 10.6.1 May Update."

Either it wasn't actually resolved, or was broken again by Windows 1903 or the ENS 10.6.1 July Update...  I'm leaning towards the ENS 10.6.1 July update since the May update included support for Windows 1903...

I have a ticket open with McAfee support...

16 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 17

Re: "Windows Security" (in 1903) indicates McAfee ENS is OFF, when it's actually ON (TP -

I can't reproduce this on my test machine. Check that the WMI service is running and ENS is installed correctly and is updating the AMCORE Content fine.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Re: "Windows Security" (in 1903) indicates McAfee ENS is OFF, when it's actually ON (TP -

ENS is installed correctly, the WMI service is running.  This is happening on all ~40 of my machines.  This includes new installs of 1903 with July Update (full install) and systems with Windows upgraded to 1903 (from 1809...) and previous versions of 10.6.1 updated to the July update.

United
Level 8
Message 4 of 17

Same Problem here. All machines with 1903 are affected. We have tested both ENS versions (10.6.1.1638+1666).

McAfee Employee patrakshar
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 17

There is nothing known as such with this version. Kindly open a service request with support team so that we can take further look into the logs. 

United
Level 8
Message 6 of 17

Service request is already open

I've already opened a service request as well.

McAfee ENS has registered itself multiple times with Windows.  Of course only one can be active at a time.  Windows defender sees the OTHER one as "off" and assumes that nothing else is "on" (or installed).

Hello Bill,

What do you mean exactly with registered multiple times?

We have the same issue on one environment, but not on any others.

United
Level 8
Message 9 of 17

McAfee had released a KBA due to this Topic, they are currently investigating.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB91830

Thanks for posting that.  However, my issue isn't intermittent.  WSC thinks ENS is ALWAYS disabled.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community